The three-year-old campaign leading up to the 1000 and 2000 Guineas in April reaches a crucial stage at Caymanas Park today with the $1.3 million Thornbird Stakes for native-bred fillies and the Prince Consort Stakes for colts and geldings, both sponsored by Front Runner, sharing the spotlight over 1400 metres. The fillies, in particular, have been lighting up the campaign, and going into this their final prep, the 11 declared coming to ensure an intriguing contest. Among the principals are the hat-trick seekers RUNALLDAY from the Anthony ‘Baba’ Nunes stables, BILINGUAL, who is also trained by Nunes, and Dwight Chen’s MARLENE MY LOVE, All three have looked potential classic winners but may need to show further improvement to stop the classy SHE’S A MANEATER, who has won four races from five carer starts, including a fast-time win over this trip in January. Trained by 16-time champion Wayne DaCosta for owner Winston Kong, the free-running bay filly by Natural Selection out of the 2009 ‘Horse of the Year’ Ahwhofah lost her only race on Boxing Day when caught and beaten by the grey colt SOTOMAYOR in the $4..25 million Supreme Ventures Jamaica 2-Y-O Stakes over a mile, a race in which she turned for home a clear leader. However, she showed in her last race that she had definitely trained on, winning impressively ahead of subsequent winner ANOTHER FURY in the good time of 1;25.3 with customary rider, reigning champion jockey Omar Walker aboard. She continues to look sharp at exercise, and having won twice over this trip, her proven class should ensure that nothing overhauls her in the closing stages. Three time winner DaCosta and Walker should complete the feature race double with recent winner FEARLESS SAMURAI in the Prince Consort Stakes to be contested by nine starters. The chestnut colt by Fearless Vision out of Sayuri has won three races from five starts, but really turned heads last time out when slamming MONEY MAGNET over 1100 metres, covering the distance in the smart time of 1:06.0. FEARLESS SAMURAI (working well) will be seen to even better advantage over this trip, and despite the strong claims of hat-trick seeker DON CHASSIS and recent winner DONTAE, he should take a lot of catching. A notable absentee from the line-up is the ‘Baba’ Nunes-trained SOTOMAYOR, who has bypassed the Prince Consort Stakes in preference for the 3-y-o and up overnight allowance mile, a race he should win ahead of the in-form IAN LINKS, now stepping up to a mile. Other firm fancies on the card are LAWS OF THE CODE in the first race, ZEPHYR in the third, BIG BLACK NATION in the fourth, TIZ A VIBE in the fifth and SUBBIE in the seventh.
Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina FILE – In this Thursday, April 5, 2018 file photo a cyclist trains ahead of Sunday’s 116th edition of the Paris-Roubaix cycling classic, in Haveluy, northern France. Belgian rider Michael Goolaerts died of cardiac arrest after collapsing while competing in the Paris-Roubaix race on Sunday April 8. Goolaerts’ team said the 23-year-old died in a Lille hospital where he had been taken by helicopter from the one-day classic. (AP Photo/Michel Spingler, File)PARIS — French judicial officials launched an investigation Monday into the death of Belgian rider Michael Goolaerts during the Paris-Roubaix cycling race.Goolaerts died Sunday after collapsing during the one-day classic on cobblestones in northern France.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next READ: Belgian cyclist dies in Paris-Roubaix raceCambrai prosecutor Remi Schwartz told The Associated Press that an autopsy will be performed on Goolaerts’ body in the coming days to determine the exact cause of death.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThe 23-year-old Belgian died at a hospital in Lille, where he had been taken by helicopter from the race. Organizers said in a medical statement that he suffered a cardio-respiratory arrest.Goolaerts had been airlifted to the hospital after collapsing about 150 kilometers (93 miles) from the finish in the second of the 29 cobblestone sectors of the race known as “The Hell of the North.” No images of the incident were available but TV footage of the race showed Goolaerts lying unresponsive on the side of the road as the peloton passed him. He was then attended to by a medical team and appeared to receive CPR. Ferrari mechanic hit by Raikkonen says he’s OK after surgery Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident According to Schwartz, early investigation results indicate that Goolaerts might have fallen off his bike because of a cardiac episode, and that it was not the crash that led to his death.“But at this stage we don’t have any absolute certainty,” he said. “There is no obvious explanation, nor an obvious traumatism as the cause (of his death).”Goolaerts was in his fourth year with the Veranda’s Willems-Crelan team. He rode in support of cyclo-cross world champion Wout van Aert of Belgium at Paris-Roubaix. His most significant result this season was 20th at Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne.Goolaerts’ death came two years after Belgian cyclist Daan Myngheer died following a heart attack during the Criterium International race in Corsica. Another Belgian cyclist, Antoine Demoitie, died the same year following a crash in the Gent-Wevelgem race.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil MOST READ Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew LATEST STORIES Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast View comments
Through the voluntary donations of many business entities, a 45-foot Murti is being constructed in RegionThe 45-foot incomplete sculpture of the Hanuman MurtiThree, (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara), Leguan Island.The Hanuman Murti will be located in the compound of the Rama Krishna Mandir, and is said to be one of the biggest Hindu deity’s statue in the country.The sculpture is voluntarily being built by the owner of JP Sculpting, Jainarine Prahalla, through donations of the public, including David Persaud Investments Ltd and David/Leila Persaud Foundation.The statue is to be completed by the end of August, 2016 with an expected grand four-day celebration to commemorate the opening.
The Mahaica Mahaicony Abary-Agricultural Development Authority (MMA-ADA) and the Guyana Public Service Union (GPSU) on Tuesday signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) guarantying the entities mutual grounds for the recognition, avoidance and settlement of disputes.GPSU First Vice President, Dawn Gardener and General Manager of the MMA-ADA, Aubrey Charles display the MoAThe MoA signing also ensures that the GPSU regains its position as the sole bargaining agent for the Authority. This was according to GPSU First Vice President, Dawn Gardener during the signing exercise at the Ministry of Social Protection, Department of Labour.Gardener, in recognising the accomplishment of the agencies, noted that the MoA stands as the first step towards the development of MMA-ADA, given that the Union is now solely responsible for ensuring the rights of these public servants.“The Guyana Public Service Union is proud today in signing this [recognition] agreement with the MMA and history will have it, it’s not the first agreement because the Union was once the bargaining for the workers at MMA….but the Union has now regained its position as it relates to the bargaining unit for the workers at MMA and this is because the workers recognise the strength and the ability of the Union”, she stated.Additionally, Gardener pointed out that the Collective Labour Agreements (CLA) which usually regulates the terms and conditions of employees at work, is yet to be signed. This, she added, will be done before the end of the year. The CLA includes the management of wages, benefits, and duties of the employees.“After this, we’ll have with management, the collective agreement signed, we’ll work and done and have the signing of that. That should be finished before the end of the year because collectively, we’ll work on that.” Gardener noted.Meanwhile, General Manager of the MMA-ADA, Aubrey Charles expressed satisfaction with the Union’s interest of the workers’ representation noting that it [the Union] is the means by which workers become more aware of their rights.“Today we have closed another chapter in the journey as it relates to workers’ rights and what the Union stands for…. however, we appreciate that because it helps in development of workers and it has made workers more aware of their rights,” Charles said.The signing of the MoA was conducted in the presence of Chief Labour Officer, Charles Ogle along with representatives of the two agreeing parties.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Robert H. Ahmanson, longtime president of the Ahmanson Foundation, has died. He was 80. Ahmanson died of a heart attack Saturday at his home in Los Angeles, his family said. Ahmanson served since 1974 as head of the foundation, which has funded cultural projects in the arts and humanities in Los Angeles for more than 50 years. A native of Omaha, he came to Los Angeles to attend UCLA, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in 1949. He went to work for his uncle, financier Howard F. Ahmanson, who founded H.F. Ahmanson & Co. Robert H. Ahmanson stayed with the company, an insurance firm that became one of the leading fire underwriters in California, until he retired as a director and officer in 1995. He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Kathleen; sons, William and Robert Hayden Ahmanson; a daughter, Karen Ahmanson Hoffman; and seven grandchildren. Ahmanson will be buried in Omaha. A memorial celebration in Los Angeles is being planned.
Bob Wilson has told talkSPORT he is excited by the prospect of seeing Petr Cech in an Arsenal shirt.Cech is closing in on a £11million switch to the Gunners after Chelsea reluctantly agreed to allow the wantaway 33-year-old goalkeeper to join their north London rivals.Wilson believes the Czech Republic international will be a terrific signing for his former club and claims he will help push Arsenal, third in the Premier League last season, closer to the title.“I think he is one of the three best goalkeepers in the world,” the goalkeeping great told Hawksbee and Jacobs.“As of this moment, I think Thibaut Courtois is the best goalkeeper in the world. I think he is ahead of Manuel Neuer. Petr Cech is right up there with those two.“At 33 years of age, you are absolutely still in your prime as a goalkeeper with your experience and everything. I think there is five, six seasons minimum from Petr Cech. He brings authority, complete calm in the way he keeps goal, and presence.“Pat Jennings, David Seaman, Peter Schmeichel, all these goalkeepers had an incredible presence. You look at Petr Cech and, from the time he arrived at Chelsea, he has had this presence and the ability to win games almost single-handedly.“If Arsenal manage to get hold of Petr Cech and get another one or two players I think they will challenge [for the title]. With regards to the rest of the squad, they are nearly now as good as Manchester City and Chelsea.“I am a huge admirer of Petr Cech. He has clearly been the best goalkeeper in this country until young Courtois arrived on the scene. I am really excited if this thing goes through.”Blues skipper John Terry believes Cech could be worth an extra 15 points to Arsenal, and Wilson claims Jose Mourinho will not be happy at losing the veteran shot-stopper to a title rival.“Petr Cech has won 13 trophies, including four Premier League titles, four FA Cups and a Champions League,” he added.“I can only think it is the chairman, Mr Abramovich, who is rewarding him for his service and his loyalty to Chelsea.“I cannot see Jose Mourinho wanting him to go to Arsenal. He knows his football Jose, he is an amazing manager, but deep down I don’t think he wants him to go.”
Remember him?Gareth Bale returned to haunt his former side by helping Real Madrid down Tottenham in the Audi Cup.The Welsh winger, and world’s most expensive player, struck an impressive second for the Spanish giants as they prevailed 2-0 over Mauricio Pochettino’s young Spurs side in Munich.James Rodriguez opened the scoring just after the half hour mark by glancing in a header from Jese’s cross, before Bale clinched victory with a powerful 20-yard strike.It wasn’t all doom and gloom for Spurs though, as young midfielder Dele Alli shone in midfield against the likes of Luka Modric and Toni Kroos.AC Milan and Bayern Munich are competing in the other semi-final of the pre-season tournament, with Bale’s Madrid awaiting the winners in the final.
However, residents believe terracing the hill – which would cost tens of millions of dollars – would stabilize it and prevent further slides. State officials also have been reluctant to try to shore up the hillside. The county and state have talked about conducting a comprehensive study of the bluff, but no cost figures or timelines have been set. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card The county was aware of the potential threat and had a sufficient time before the landslide to take protective measures, the lawsuit states. “They should have required the hillside to be fixed,” plaintiffs’ attorney Anthony Murray said. “They took no steps to assist residents by requiring the La Conchita Ranch Co. (which owns the hillside) to make the area safe.” Ventura County Counsel Noel Klebaum declined to comment Friday about the lawsuit. Attorney Frank Sabaitis, who represents the ranch company, said the lawsuit doesn’t have any merit. “Based upon research, facts and information from experts, there is no factual basis for the ranch’s liability,” Sabaitis said. County officials have said that they have warned residents about the dangers of living in La Conchita, about 70 miles northwest of Los Angeles, and are unsure there is anything that can be done to prevent the landslides. Several geologists who have examined the hillside believe it will collapse again. Residents of a seaside town hit by a deadly landslide last year filed lawsuits against Ventura County and a private ranch company, claiming both were negligent in protecting the community. Twenty-three lawsuits have been filed in Ventura County Superior Court, covering a total of 39 plaintiffs. Five of the cases were filed Friday. Among the allegations are wrongful death, negligence, trespassing and damaged property. The plaintiffs are seeking unspecified damages. The lawsuits claim Ventura County officials failed to protect residents of La Conchita from a Jan. 10, 2005, mudslide that killed 10 people, destroyed 13 homes and damaged 23 others. A towering bluff above the community became saturated from a series of winter storms and a torrent of earth cascaded into the streets.
FAI chief executive John Delaney has praised Finn Harps FC for their innovative Schools Programme that is currently being mapped out across the county.Delaney has endorsed the project which Harps have been running for a number of years and hopes that other clubs follow suit and the project is mapped out nationwide.Finn Harps and Active Donegal both work closely with schools all over Donegal in which they promote road safety and healthy eating. The Finn Harps Schools Programme were delighted to receive an email from Mr. John Delaney, who congratulated them on the schools programme project and said he will be travelling to Donegal in the coming weeks to meet some of the schools participating in the programme.Delaney said, “I would like to commend Finn Harps Schools, Donegal Sports Partnership, Proformance Sports Nutrition and the HSE on this fantastic initiative.“Obesity, as we know has become a major public health problem throughout Ireland, and this programme is leading the way in taking the right steps towards combating it.“The FAI encourage kids to be active from a very young age, and the Eat Right Play Right programme compliments our core principles greatly. “If kids start this programme at a young age, their chances of becoming the next Donegal star like Seamus Coleman playing for Ireland are greatly increased!“I wish everyone involved the very best of luck with the programme in the hope that it progresses and expands nationwide.’You can follow the Finn Harps schools programme on Facebook.https://www.facebook.com/FinnHarpsSchoolsProgrammeFAI CHIEF EXECUTIVE JOHN DELANEY ENDORSES FINN HARPS FOR INNOVATIVE SCHOOLS PROGRAMME was last modified: April 22nd, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FAIFinn Harps FCJohn Delaneynewsschools programmeSport
Speculation is rife that the Catholic chapel at Letterkenny General Hospital is to close.A request for a response to rising speculation sent to the HSE by Donegal Daily yesterday morning (Thurs) has still not been responded to.However, it has now been revealed that plans have been forwarded as part of the rebuild of the hospital to replace the Catholic Church with a ‘Peace Room.’ This room will cater for all religious denominations.The chapel has been closed since the horrific floods in July wrecked many parts of the hospital.A number of people contacted Donegal Daily about the reports of a ‘downgrading’ of the chapel.Many have pointed out that many elderly people of Catholic background use the chapel on a regular basis. At present people have to go across the road to St Conals chapel for prayers.However, it was always assumed the chapel would be rebuilt like many other parts of the hospital as part of the €30 million refit. UNREST AS CHAPEL AT LETTERKENNY HOSPITAL TO BE ‘DOWNGRADED’ was last modified: December 13th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:chapelcloseLetterkenny General Hospitalpeace room