JAPEX in Mobay Sept. 23-25

first_img In his message regarding this year’s staging, President of the JHTA, Omar Robinson, noted that the event provides the business-conducive atmosphere for participants to meet, collaborate and conduct business with wholesalers, tour operators and travel agents. A slew of overseas buyers and local suppliers in the tourism sector are expected to converge at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in St. James from September 23 to 25, for the 28th staging of Jamaica Product Exchange (JAPEX). A slew of overseas buyers and local suppliers in the tourism sector are expected to converge at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in St. James from September 23 to 25, for the 28th staging of Jamaica Product Exchange (JAPEX).The annual event, put on by the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) and the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB), provides the ideal forum for leading suppliers in Jamaica’s tourism industry to negotiate and network with overseas buyers.In his message regarding this year’s staging, President of the JHTA, Omar Robinson, noted that the event provides the business-conducive atmosphere for participants to meet, collaborate and conduct business with wholesalers, tour operators and travel agents.“It is also a golden opportunity for our partners in Jamaica’s agriculture and manufacturing sectors as we continue to integrate our suppliers and showcase valuable tourism linkages at JAPEX,” Mr. Robinson said.He added that this year, the workshops will address critical topics, such as marketing small properties, interior decorating, energy efficiency and revenue management.JAPEX commences with the official opening and welcome reception on Sunday, September 23 at 7:00 p.m.Over the three days, participants will be engaged in discussions, appointment scheduling, networking and scheduled tours of hotels and attractions. Over the three days, participants will be engaged in discussions, appointment scheduling, networking and scheduled tours of hotels and attractions. Story Highlightslast_img read more

Continue reading

4 Concussions Sunday Draw Concern of NFLPA

Concussions suffered by three quarterbacks and a running back Sunday has prompted NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith two renew his call for the league to hire “concussion specialists” with no team affiliation who would man the sidelines to oversee concussion protocols and treat players.The players’ union continues to be frustrated over what it perceives to be an inconsistency among teams to adhere to concussion guidelines.The concussions suffered Sunday by quarterbacks Michael Vick, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith and running back Fred Jackson drew particular attention Monday from the union, which will review the injuries and adherence to guidelines based on initial observations, NFLPA sources said. Players are entitled to file a grievance if they want to pursue claims against teams. Union sources say most players are reluctant to file complaints for fear of decreased job security.Only one of the defensive players involved on the hits to the quarterbacks is under league review for potential discipline, a source told ESPN. Texans linebacker Tim Dobbins drew a penalty flag for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cutler and could be fined.Smith suffered a concussion when tackled by Rams linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Vick left with a concussion after being hit by Cowboys linebacker Ernie Sims. Neither of those hits were penalized and the league has determined both were perfectly legal.NFLPA sources said the union wants the league to accept responsibility for creating a disciplined, prompt and safe environment for players who are injured during the course of a game. They said the union wants concussion specialists, paid not by the teams but by the league, to assume the duties of caring for players, in accordance with normal employer workplace oversight.In last year’s collective bargaining negotiations, the union gained access to player medical information and the ability to conduct its own reviews of how teams evaluate and treat all injuries, including head and neck trauma. read more

Continue reading

New TCI Corporate Black Card has 11 companies giving savings

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, October 25, 2017 – Providenciales – The Young Corporate Alliance is breaking ground in the Turks and Caicos and is expanding its support to younger business professionals and business owners between 18 and 40 with a BlackCard offer for significant savings and discounts among key companies which are signed onto the program.The Corporate Black Card was unveiled yesterday and executives of YCA, which was established in 2015 say, eleven companies are on board.   Up to 75% discount for some services from law firms in the program and those include TWA MarcelinWolf, StanbrookLaw and Savory&Co; there are marketing and media companies like OutsideoftheBox Marketing, CayaHicoMedia, Island Printing and RogerHarvey&Co.    Business services and supplies firms are on board like Business Solutions, Digicel, NW Hamilton and HLB.The Corporate Black Card of the YCA is for its Platinum membership tier only and President Dominic Rolle led a team which also explained that applying can happen at their website, the card is valid for one year and an Executive Board is established to oversee compliance related to the card.  The card is black and prominently features the YCA logo and the title Black Corporate Card in an elegantly sophisticated design.   The launch was called a pioneering positive step for the Turks and Caicos economy.#MagneticMediaNews#YoungCorporateAlliance#YCABlackCard Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #YCABlackCard, #youngcorporatealliance Young Business Leaders Travel to the Netherlands For Providenciales Incubatorlast_img read more

Continue reading

Quota protests across country Sunday

first_imgProthom Alo File PhotoQuota protesters demanding gazette notification in line with the prime minister’s pledge, will hold demonstration on Dhaka University campus on Sunday.They said there will be no classes and examinations at all universities across the country till 1:00pm on Sunday as part of their demonstration.Leaders of Sadharan Chhatra Odhikar Songrokkhon Parishad (General Students Rights Protection Council), the platform that initiated the demonstration for quota reforms in public services, announced the programme at a press conference in front of the central library of Dhaka University on Saturday.”The demonstrators are being harrassed. The police personnel are trying to arrest them in Cumilla and Rangpur. The students will not sit idle if such attempts continue,” the council’s convenor Hasan Al Mamun said.He demanded release of the demonstrators who were arrested and condemned terrorist attacks on protesters.The terrorists allegedly attacked the home of the council’s joint convenor Jasim Uddin and roughed up his family members.”We will not leave the streets until the gazette notification (abolising quota system) is issued,” said the council’s joint convenor Faruk Hassan.At the height of quota protests, prime minister Sheikh Hasina announced in parliament on 11 April that there would be no quota from now on.The public administration ministry has recently sent a proposal to the prime minister, to constitute a committee for recommending measures on whether quota system would be abolished or amended.last_img read more

Continue reading

Quader castigates BNP for complaining to foreigners

first_imgBangladesh Awami general secretary Obaidul Quader. File PhotoAwami League general secretary Obaidul Quader on Saturday said BNP has nothing other than complaining to foreigners after its failure in both the election and its movement, reports UNB.He also described the remarks of BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir over the national election as ‘delirium of a failed politician’.Quader, also the road transport and bridges minister, came up with the remarks while talking to reporters before a joint meeting of Awami League presidium members and the party’s different associate bodies at its Bangabandhu Avenue office.”They (BNP) couldn’t wage a movement over the last 10 years. We thank them as they joined the national election. But they utterly failed in the election, too,” he said.Quader further said, “What can be their (BNP’s) resort now as they have failed in its movement and the election? Now they’re complaining to foreigners and it’s their old habit.”He said the Awami League was more united during the 11th parliamentary election than in the past. “We achieved a massive victory as we could show a stronger unity through excellent coordination under the leadership of Sheikh Hasina.”The Awami League general secretary said their president Sheikh Hasina’s strong stance against evil and communal forces also helped the party get an unforgettable victory in the election.The minister said their party will celebrate the victory through a rally at Suhrawardy Udyan on 19 January.At the beginning of the meeting, one minute silence was observed paying homage to party former secretary general Syed Ashraful Islam.Four days after being elected an MP of the 11th parliament, Awami League presidium member and public administration minister Syed Ashraful Islam died of lung cancer at a hospital in Thailand on Thursday night at the age of 67.last_img read more

Continue reading

Houston Educators Push Back Against Proposed Salary Freeze

first_img Trustee Sergio Lira, Houston Federation of Teachers President Zeph Capo and several educators joined the press conference.Capo emphasized that if Houston schools improved enough to avoid a state-mandated takeover, it’s because of teachers.“And this is not the way to welcome them back to a new year when we need them focused the most on doing the best for our kids with the least,” Capo said.Santos said that she believes the $2 billion budget, which the board approved at the end of July, can cover the $6 million needed for the raises, if district administrators account for the departure of veteran, higher paid teachers.Lucia Moreno, who teaches at Rucker Elementary, said that she has to use her own money to buy equipment like cameras that her students need and her school can’t afford. Now she wonders how she’ll be able to pay for students’ supplies without an expected pay bump of about $1,000.“So where does that money come? They wind up losing. Who loses? Our kids in the East End,” Moreno said.The Houston school board is expected to vote on the compensation plan at its meeting next week. Laura IsenseeTrustee Elizabeth Santos told reporters that she believes the HISD budget can cover $6 million in scheduled raises for teachers.Dozens of educators spoke out against the proposed pay freeze at the Houston district headquarters Thursday afternoon, saying it’s not the way to “welcome” teachers back to school.Houston school board member and teacher Elizabeth Santos said that her fellow educators were shocked to find out that the administration at the Houston Independent School District wants to freeze their salaries for this school year — and not give anyone scheduled raises.“It’s simply not right to tell teachers that their pay is being cut days before they return to their classrooms for the new school year,” Santos said. “Beyond that, it’s not smart. As a district, we must ensure we don’t lose our most valuable asset for educating our children — experienced classroom teachers.” Listen To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:center_img X 00:00 /00:53 Sharelast_img read more

Continue reading