Bruce French retires as England’s national lead wicketkeeping coach | Cricket News

first_imgFormer England glovesman Bruce French steps down as the country’s national lead wicketkeeping coach after 11 years in the job, during which time he has worked with Matt Prior, Jonny Bairstow, Ben Foakes, Sarah Taylor and Jos Buttler Last Updated: 11/11/20 11:09am England's Jos Buttler shares a joke with wicketkeeping coach Bruce French during the second #RaiseTheBat Test between England and Pakistan this summer
England's Jos Buttler shares a joke with wicketkeeping coach Bruce French during the second #RaiseTheBat Test between England and Pakistan this summer

Continue reading

AP funds’ ethics council backs engagement over divestment

first_imgEngaging with companies over environmental and ethical matters is a more sustainable strategy than simply dumping the investments, reported the Ethical Council for Sweden’s AP funds.Releasing its annual report for 2016, the advisory body said human rights, biodiversity, and anti-corruption remained areas of focus in its work last year, and singled out talks over the Thai fishing industry and Qatar’s foreign workers as examples.Peter Lundkvist, senior strategist and head of corporate governance at AP3 as well chairman of the Ethical Council in 2017, said: “The Ethical Council has during the past 10 years worked with engagement as a means to solve problems and incidents that occur in business operations of investee companies. It is a sustainable strategy instead of selling the companies.”Initially, remaining as owners and working for improvements had been a bit of a unique approach from the council, he told IPE – but it had since evolved “to become the standard for responsible investors.” “We think it’s much better to stay on as an investor as long as you possibly can,” Lundkvist said.“Of course you always come to some point in time when you feel it is meaningless, when the company isn’t listening to you,” he said.The Ethical Council has a four-year process, and if dialogue gives no results within that time, then the investment is sold.Sometimes divestment happens after a shorter period of attempting to engage, however, he said, citing the example of a Chinese mining company that did not respond to any of the council’s attempts to communicate.However, most of the divestments made by AP1, AP2, AP3, or AP4 are decided upon without input from the council, Lundkvist said, because they do not fulfil the funds’ investment criteria on financial grounds or fall short of sustainability standards set by the funds.Based on the mandate of the four main AP funds, the Ethical Council carries out both preventive and reactive work with portfolio companies, with the goal of having a positive effect regarding environmental and ethical issues.As an example of this work, it said it was engaged in a large number of dialogues on forced labour and child labour in the cocoa and tobacco industries.last_img read more

Continue reading

Liverpool seek new ‘heroes’ without concussed Salah against Barcelona

first_imgFILE PHOTO: Sadio ManeLiverpool, United Kingdom | AFP | Liverpool must turn to unlikely heroes to overturn a 3-0 Champions League semi-final, first leg deficit against Barcelona on Tuesday according to defender Trent Alexander-Arnold after top scorer Mohamed Salah was ruled out with concussion.Roberto Firmino will also be absent against the Spanish champions leaving Jurgen Klopp without two of his most potent weapons for an already massive challenge.“Obviously we’ve got two of our main goalscorers out, but it also presents an opportunity for some of the other lads to come in, make a name for themselves and make themselves heroes,” said Alexander-Arnold.“If we do overturn the deficit tomorrow then whoever scores, their name will always be remembered because I am sure it will be one of those really special nights.”Salah was stretchered off during Liverpool’s tense 3-2 win at Newcastle on Saturday that kept alive their chances of a first Premier League title in 29 years after colliding with Magpies’ goalkeeper Martin Dubravka for a high ball.“It’s a concussion so that means he would not even be allowed to play,” said Klopp at his pre-match press conference on Monday.“He feels OK but it is not good enough from a medical point of view that is all. He’s desperate (to play) but we cannot do it.”Klopp was realistic at his side’s chances of progressing to a second consecutive Champions League final, but refused to give up hope with Liverpool’s history of European comebacks.“Together with our supporters it was a long season and there is at least a little chance to make it even longer,” added Klopp.“Two of the world’s best strikers are not available tomorrow night and we have to score four goals against Barcelona to go through after 90 minutes. “It doesn’t make life easier, but as long as we have 11 players on the pitch, we will try it.”– Anfield an extra man –Luis Suarez scored the opening goal against his former club in last week’s first leg at the Camp Nou, but ahead of his return to Anfield, the Uruguayan warned his current teammates of the lift playing on home soil will give Liverpool.“To play at Anfield is like playing with an extra man for what the fans transmit to the Liverpool players,” said Suarez.And Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde believes attack will be the best form of defence as if the Catalans get an away goal, Liverpool will need to score five.“What we have to do is score,” said Valverde.Suarez will be joined by Lionel Messi and Philippe Coutinho on his return to Anfield after a £142 million move to Barca from Liverpool last year.But Ousmane Dembele is absent for the visitors due to a hamstring injury and Valverde believes the Frenchman’s absence will be felt just as much as Salah and Firmino.“We don’t want any player to be injured. It would have been extraordinary to see them all on the field. They are all important,” he added.“Dembele’s absence is a problem. Against a team that concedes space (in behind) it is always important to have player like Ousmane.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Continue reading

13-year-old charged with first-degree murder in FL shooting

first_imgA 13-year-old boy is facing first-degree murder charges in the shooting death of a Florida man.The boy, identified as Vamari Bostic, is accused of fatally shooting 25-year-old James Anthony Bacon following an ongoing dispute, early Thursday.Winter Garden police say the suspect turned himself in after a warrant was issued for his arrest.Authorities previously released a photo of the boy, saying he was “armed and dangerous.”The victim’s mother says that she forgives the young murder suspect.He is expected to face a judge on Friday around 1:30 p.m.This story is developing.last_img

Continue reading