Riots in Burundi The United Nations has warned that Burundi is “on the brink of devastating violence” ahead of the contested and controversial Presidential election.The country’s President Pierre Nkurunziza is pushing ahead with plans to seek a third term in office at next week’s polls, despite calls for a further postponement.Two weeks after the contested legislative and communal elections that took place in Burundi and with presidential polls just days away, senior United Nations officials now warn that the situation prevailing in the Central African country is once again at risk of sliding into violence.The officials warned the Security Council saying that Burundi is on the brink again and that it faces grave danger.UN Assistant-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Taye-Brook Zerihoun said said the situation should not be underestimated, given the increasing polarization and the apparent choice of Burundian leaders to put personal interest before those of the country.“An escalating pattern of politically motivated violence, coupled with this country’s history of recurring bloodshed and atrocities, should alert us to the potential for serious crisis,” underlined UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein.Both officials echoed similar concern as they briefed the Security Council on the situation in Burundi; Mr. Zehiroun on the electoral process and the political and security situations through the work of the UN Election Observation Mission (MENUB) and Mr. Zeid on the protection and promotion of human rights.“On 2 July, MENUB assessed that the legislative and communal electoral process of June 29 took place against the background of a political crisis, and in a climate of widespread fear and intimidation in parts of the country,” said the Assistant Secretary-General.Some opposition political parties and civil society organizations, notably those opposed to a third term for President Pierre Nkurunziza, called the elections a “sham” and declared they would not recognize the results.Burundi has been hit by violence since the April announcement that President Pierre Nkurunziza would run for a third term in presidential elections set for July 15.Protesters say Nkurunziza must go because the constitution limits the president to two terms, but the president’s supporters say he is eligible for a third term because he was chosen by lawmakers — and not popularly elected — for his first term.
November 15, 2017 Police Blotter111517 Batesville Police Blotter111517 Decatur County EMS Report111517 Decatur County Fire Report111517 Decatur County jail Report111517 Decatur County Law Report
The 24-year-old winger, who started all three of Ecuador’s group games against France, Switzerland and Honduras during the World Cup in Brazil, has agreed a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee. Montero went straight into training with the Swans on Thursday after passing a medical. He has moved to the Liberty Stadium from Mexican club Morelia. Swansea have announced the signing of Ecuador international Jefferson Montero. Press Association He becomes Swansea’s latest new signing of a busy summer, quickly following Gylfi Sigurdsson, whose move from Spurs was confirmed on Wednesday, while other new arrivals have included ex-Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski and former Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis. Montero previously played for Villareal, and he lined up against Swansea while on loan at Real Betis in a friendly three years ago. The Swans, meanwhile, have confirmed Alejandro Pozuelo’s Liberty Stadium departure to join Primera Division side Rayo Vallecano. Swansea said on their official website that midfielder Pozuelo had signed for an undisclosed fee. The 22-year-old Spaniard moved to Wales from Real Betis last summer, but he has not featured for the Barclays Premier League club in recent months. He signed a three-year deal with the Swans, having been recruited by current manager Garry Monk’s predecessor Michael Laudrup. Pozuelo made 36 appearances and scored two goals, but he last played for Swansea when they took on Europa League opponents Napoli in February. Pozuelo’s new club posted a picture of him holding a Rayo Vallecano shirt on their official Twitter account on Thursday.
Black Stars and Atletico Madrid midfielder, Thomas Partey has been named Sports Man of the Year at the 2020 EMY Africa Awards.The event held on Saturday, July 4, 2020, in Accra was the 5th of its kind with many personalities honoured on the night.For the second year running, the Ghanaian international footballer was named as the best sportsman of the year for his incredible performances over the season.The Rojiblancos midfielder beat off competition from Black Stars and Crystal Palace forward Jordan Ayew, as well as Coach C.K Akonnor and boxer Wasiru Mohammed.With a series of individual brilliance, the Ghanaian has been linked with a move away from the Wanda Metropolitano.Many reports suggest that Arsenal are keen to seal a deal for the 27-year-old Atletico Madrid star.