California’s PG&E seeks approval for 423MW/1.7GWh of new battery storage projects

first_imgCalifornia’s PG&E seeks approval for 423MW/1.7GWh of new battery storage projects FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Greentech Media:Pacific Gas & Electric has asked California regulators to approve seven battery projects totaling 423 megawatts, or nearly 1.7 gigawatt-hours of energy storage capacity, to meet its share of a statewide procurement that must be brought online by late next year to assure statewide grid stability.PG&E’s 2020 System Reliability Request for Offers, filed Monday with the California Public Utilities Commission, represents a huge new addition to the utility’s battery fleet to meet the state’s resource adequacy needs starting in 2021. It’s the second major procurement from a California utility designed to comply with the CPUC’s order for 3.3 gigawatts of carbon-free resources to help meet grid reliability needs that will arise when four natural-gas-fired power plants retire next year to reduce their environmental harm to coastal waters.PG&E’s portfolio of new battery projects isn’t the biggest one meant to make up for those power plants, whose retirement has already been delayed by a year to allow clean energy replacement resources to be brought online. Earlier this month, utility Southern California Edison announced 770 megawatts, or nearly 3 gigawatt-hours, of storage from seven winning bids, most of them connected to existing solar farms. SCE has the largest share of procurement since it faces the more severe potential grid disruptions from closing the power plants.But PG&E’s new proposal does represent a major boost to a battery fleet that’s already set to be the largest in the world. PG&E’s major projects include a 300-megawatt/1,200-megawatt-hour project by Vistra Energy and a 182.5-megawatt/730-megawatt-hour project from Tesla being built near a natural-gas plant in the Monterey County community of Moss Landing.PG&E is now adding another 100 megawatts/400 megawatt-hours of battery plant from Vistra to be part of its new resource adequacy portfolio in the transmission-constrained South Bay/Moss Landing sub-area. It’s also adding three 50-megawatt/200-megawatt-hour systems to the existing 50-megawatt Diablo Energy Storage project being built by LS Power in Contra Costa County.PG&E’s new round of contracts, which must still be approved by the CPUC, is the third major storage deal to be announced just this month, including SCE’s projects and another nearly 3-gigawatt-hour procurement announced by Hawaiian Electric last week.[Jeff St. John]More: Vistra, LS Power top winners in PG&E’s 420MW storage procurementlast_img read more

Continue reading

Morocco to bid for 2026 World Cup – Federation

first_imgRabat, Morocco | AFP | Morocco’s football federation (FRMF) announced on Friday it had told the sport’s world governing body FIFA it will bid to host the 2026 World Cup.It would be Morocco’s fifth candidacy having come up short already in 1994, 1998, 2006 and 2010.“Morocco considers itself capable of organsining a World Cup,” youth and sports minister Rachid Talbi Alami told AFP.“We have the necessary infrastructure in terms of stadiums, transport, hotel capacity and sanitation.”In April, the United States, Canada and Mexico had already announced a joint North American bid to host the tournament.If successful, Morocco would become only the second African country to host football’s flagship event following South Africa in 2010.The north Africans have received backing from African confederation (CAF) president Ahmad Ahmad. “We are convinced that Morocco could organise this competition just as was done by South Africa in 2010,” said Malagasy Ahmad after he was elected to succeed Cameroon’s Issa Hayatou as head of the African body.However, FIFA last year accepted that the country had paid bribes to the former head of the North and Central American Confederation in trying to win the right to host the 1998 and 2010 tournaments — something that could prejudice any future bid.But FIFA president Gianni Infantino has echoed Ahmad’s endorsement, saying that Morocco has the necessary “infrastructure and organisational capacity” to host the World Cup.The 2026 tournament will be the first with an expanded 48-team tournament, up from the current 32 qualifiers.Morocco had won the right to host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations but pulled out at the 11th hour over concerns related to the Ebola outbreak in western Africa at the time.But the country has embarked on a professionalisation drive to improve its football infrastructure while increasing it’s candidacies for various tournaments in order to improve its chances of landing a much coveted World Cup.Morocco has hosted two Club World Cup tournaments, in 2013 and 2014, although that is a vastly smaller and shorter tournament.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Continue reading