Concussions suffered by three quarterbacks and a running back Sunday has prompted NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith two renew his call for the league to hire “concussion specialists” with no team affiliation who would man the sidelines to oversee concussion protocols and treat players.The players’ union continues to be frustrated over what it perceives to be an inconsistency among teams to adhere to concussion guidelines.The concussions suffered Sunday by quarterbacks Michael Vick, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith and running back Fred Jackson drew particular attention Monday from the union, which will review the injuries and adherence to guidelines based on initial observations, NFLPA sources said. Players are entitled to file a grievance if they want to pursue claims against teams. Union sources say most players are reluctant to file complaints for fear of decreased job security.Only one of the defensive players involved on the hits to the quarterbacks is under league review for potential discipline, a source told ESPN. Texans linebacker Tim Dobbins drew a penalty flag for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cutler and could be fined.Smith suffered a concussion when tackled by Rams linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Vick left with a concussion after being hit by Cowboys linebacker Ernie Sims. Neither of those hits were penalized and the league has determined both were perfectly legal.NFLPA sources said the union wants the league to accept responsibility for creating a disciplined, prompt and safe environment for players who are injured during the course of a game. They said the union wants concussion specialists, paid not by the teams but by the league, to assume the duties of caring for players, in accordance with normal employer workplace oversight.In last year’s collective bargaining negotiations, the union gained access to player medical information and the ability to conduct its own reviews of how teams evaluate and treat all injuries, including head and neck trauma.
Former PNP Election candidate and businessman calls for swifter reconstruction for Capital, Grand Turk FortisTCI announces bid to hike electricity bills, cites record $42m response to hurricanes as destabilizing Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you New, stringent posture on illegal construction makes fines, personal demolition and possible deportation legal says PDM Minister, law now passed Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppDominica, September 19th, 2017 – Roseau – Devastation has hit the Caribbean region once again as Dominica became the newest victim to be caught in another hurricane’s wrought. At 9.15pm last night, Hurricane Maria, now a category 5 Hurricane, made its official landfall in Dominica. Dominica’s Prime Minister, Roosevelt Skerrit, via a Facebook post said, “We have lost all that money can buy.”According to the national hurricane center, Hurricane Maria is moving with winds at 160mph in a West Northwest direction. Strangely enough, the hurricane took its time through Dominica moving at a slow speed of only 9miles per hour. Official reports revealed that the eye of the storm passed over Dominica last night and has since caused widespread damage.Magnetic Media also understands that almost all the roofs have been swept off buildings, the island’s hospital, Princess Margaret hospital, has been destroyed and radio stations stopped broadcasting when the hurricane hit.Prime Minister Skerrit also revealed that he too had to be rescued from his own home as his roof was blown away and his house had been flooded. He said he feared the worst and begged countries for immediate help. He added, “My greatest fear for the morning is that we will wake to news of serious physical injury and possible deaths as a result of likely landslides triggered by persistent rains.”Hurricane Maria has since skirted through islands such as Guadeloupe, Montserrat and St Kitts & Nevis before devastating Dominica. The national hurricane center predicts that it will hit the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico next. Like, Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Maria is expected to grow to winds 180mph or higher.As a result, hurricane relief efforts in the British Virgin Islands, who were recently hit by Hurricane Irma, had to be stopped as a curfew is now in effect in preparation for Hurricane Maria. Foreign officials are also warning against persons traveling to islands such as the British Virgin Islands, Anguilla and the Turks and Caicos as they are all vulnerable to the effects of Hurricane Maria. If Hurricane Maria remains a category 5 Hurricane, this will be the biggest storm to hit Puerto Rico in almost a century.Hurricane Maria quickly grew from a tropical storm last Sunday evening to a now category 5 storm as of Monday – less than24 hours – and is expected to remain a category 5 storm throughout the week.Story By: Kay-Marie Fletcher Related Items:#HurricaneMaria, #magneticmedianews, Dominica
Chennai Super Kings needed 150 to clinch their fourth IPL title and when Shane Watson, who was woefully out of form the entire tournament, started humming along, they were always going to be the favourites. However, despite the meltdown in the middle-order and despite, the slightly controversial run-out of MS Dhoni, the defending champions still needed 9 runs off the final over and Rohit Sharma threw the ball to Lasith Malinga.It was a brilliant over by the veteran, Yorkers, slower balls, and keeping his calm – he gave away only seven runs as Mumbai Indians went all the way to bag their fourth IPL crown. Epic scenes followed and MS Dhoni conceded after the match that it was not perfect tournament for his side, but his bowlers kept getting the job done.’The middle order wasn’t great’ MS Dhoni leads his sideIPL Twitter”As a team we had a good season. But we need to go back and reflect on how we reached the finals. It’s not one of those years where we played really great cricket to reach here. The middle order wasn’t great, and today it was very funny as to how both teams were only passing on the trophy from one team to the other,” the skipper said after the match.Speaking on the final, Dhoni believed that both sides made a lot of mistakes and in the end, the side which made fewer mistakes walked away with the match. He also said that they need to rethink few things, but not the focus will shift to the World Cup. File photo of former CSK captain MS DhoniIANS”Both teams made a lot of mistakes, the team that made one lesser mistake won. I think the bowlers did really well for us, even today it was definitely more than a 150 wicket. They kept performing and kept getting wickets whenever needed,” he further added.With MS Dhoni, there are always whispers about his own cricketing career and whether or not, he will continue playing after the World Cup. The skipper said that hopefully, he is back next season, a statement which drew raucous applause.”We have to go to our drawing board, and there is no real time for that now. We need to go into the World Cup and after that we need to see the gaps that we can fill. Nothing against the bowlers, it’s the batsmen who need to step up. [Will he be there in the next season?] Hopefully yes,” Dhoni said.
Pervez SarkerA mid-ranking leader of ruling Bangladesh Awami League (AL) party was abducted in broad daylight from capital’s Lalmatia area Friday afternoon when he was returning home after performing Jumma prayer, witnesses said.Unidentified abductors whisked away former chairman of Cumilla’s Titas upazila (sub-district) Pervez Sarker into a pajero jeep just after he came out of the mosque after performing Jumma prayer.Pervez, a member of AL’s Cumilla-North organisational district unit, is expecting nomination from the ruling party Awami League for Cumilla-2 constituency.According to witnesses, Pervez was on his way to his home at Lalmatia after performing his Jumma prayer around 1:45pm. Meanwhile, a person wearing pant and t-shirt shakes hand with him. Another person having long hair holds his mouth tight from behind. A pajero jeep came to the scene just the time immediately and forcibly took Pervez to the car and left the scene in no time.Pervez’s cousin Fahad Bhuiyan told Prothom Alo that four persons are involved in his brother’s abduction and all of them had pistol and walkie-talkie with them.According to Fahad, two abductors were in the car while two others were outside. Fahad also said that abductors have long been following Pervez.He also said that a video footage of the incident was also collected and it was found that the car which took Pervez has a number plate on it and the number is Gha-14-2577.When contacted, Dhaka Metropolitan Police Mohammadpur zone senior assistant police commissioner Mrityunjoy Dey Sajal told Prothom Alo that the video footage is not clear.“We are trying to collect more video footages of the scene from near-by houses,” he said.
US president Donald Trump pumps his fist as he boards Air Force One upon departure from Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, US, on 12 January 2018. ReutersFrom Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon through Barack Obama, Americans have gotten used to the idea of their presidents using profanity, but Donald Trump’s use of the word “shithole” to describe Haiti and Africa this week sparked a storm of protest.The countries offended condemned the outburst and human rights groups labelled the comment racist, given that Trump described people from largely white Norway as more desirable immigrants.But supporters of the former businessman and reality TV star erupted in applause.“Finally a president that says what we all think! You go @POTUS! #ShitholeCountries #shithole #America1st,” tweeted Marco Gutierrez, a Trump supporter and Congressional candidate from California.Conservative blogger Stacy Rush dismissed criticism of Trump’s language as pitiful and a distraction from the bigger picture: “It is pathetic our country and particularly the MSM (mainstream media) is wasting time on the word #shithole when we have real issues that need to be addressed.”But many from the worlds of diplomacy, academia and even etiquette experts cringed.“The reality is that when you have to resort to it, it does send a message of insecurity,” said Diane Gottsman, author of Modern Etiquette for a Better Life, who advises against using profanity in either professional or social settings.Trump’s remarks during a meeting on immigration policy that was held at the White House on Thursday were reported by a US senator at the gathering, who said on Friday that the president had used “vile, vulgar” language, including repeatedly saying “shithole.”Trump denied on Friday that he had used such derogatory language. But he was condemned nonetheless in many African nations, as well as in Haiti and El Salvador, and by international human rights organizations.During the 1960s Lyndon Johnson raised eyebrows by saying that, in politics, “chicken shit can turn to chicken salad.” Experts said the public were shocked by the profanity-laced Nixon tapes from the Oval office in the 1970s Watergate political crisis, and that people are less sensitive now.“People have become accustomed to the idea that presidents swear,” said Julian Zelizer, a Princeton University history professor who studies the presidency. “But even with that, I think people still expect a certain amount of formality in public.”Some academic research suggests there could be benefits to swearing in some contexts, from dulling pain to suggesting trust in social situations.Benjamin Bergin, a cognitive science professor at the University of California San Diego who wrote a book on why people swear called “What the F,” said his research has shown profane speech can be perceived as more honest.If swearing kept Trump from storming out of the negotiations, that could be positive, said Timothy Jay, emeritus professor of psychology at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, and author of five books on profanity.That was not enough to sway Gottsman, who advises people on business etiquette.“My advice would be don’t do it,” she said. “When we are in a position of power, people look up to us.”