Mourinho, who had already been lined up to replace van Gaal after the Dutchman failed to qualify United for next season’s Champions League, is keen to have his own backroom staff along with him which means Rui Faria replacing Giggs.Giggs, who Mourinho reportedly suspected of disloyalty and spinning against Moyes and then van Gaal when their fortunes slumped, was offered a different role but declined it.But there was no rancour in Giggs’ statement, released by United, towards the Portuguese manager.“I want to congratulate Jose Mourinho on his appointment as manager of the world’s biggest club,” said Giggs.“There are only a handful of proven winners at the very highest level and Jose is unquestionably one of them. I know the fans will welcome him.”Ed Woodward, executive vice chairman, paid a handsome tribute to United’s faithful servant.“Ryan’s place in the history of Manchester United is assured,” said Woodward.“He has been a constant presence at the club since 1987 and during his playing days, regularly delighted crowds; first with his dazzling wing play and later with his intelligence and ability to dictate a game.“He has all the attributes to be a terrific manager in the future.”Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2 The 42-year-old Welshman — an integral part of the great side built by Alex Ferguson and who made a record 963 appearances — is keen to pursue a managerial career, having been assistant manager during the unsuccessful spells of David Moyes and then Louis van Gaal.“It has not been a decision that I have made lightly. I’ll take away so many special memories as well as a lifetime of experiences that will, I hope, serve me well in the future,” said Giggs in a statement issued by the club.“However, the time feels right and although I have no immediate plans to step into management, it is where I want to be.”Giggs, who won 13 league titles and two Champions League trophies amongst other honours, said that it was an enormous wrench for him.“After 29 seasons at Manchester United as a player and assistant manager, I know winning is in the DNA of this Club – giving youth a chance, and playing attacking and exciting football.“It’s healthy to have high expectations, it’s right to expect to win. Manchester United expects, deserves, nothing less.“This is why it is a huge decision for me to step away from the club that has been my life since the age of 14.” Manchester, United Kingdom | AFP |Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs is to leave after almost 30 years of service, the English Premier League club announced on Saturday in a widely expected move following Jose Mourinho’s appointment as manager.
Bedfordshire teenager Sophie Mills shot an impressive net score of three-under par to lead the East region qualifiers for England Golf’s 2012 Grand Medal Final. The 14-year-old from Wyboston Lakes scored net 71 and was three shots clear of the field at the East region medal final at John O’Gaunt Golf Club in Bedfordshire. The event was contested by the best women club medal players from six Eastern counties and the top 10 qualified for the Grand Medal Final to be held at Worcestershire Golf Club on Saturday, June 23. The 10, who will join qualifiers from five other regions to compete for the title of England’s champion medal player, are: Sophie Mills (Wyboston Lakes), Sarah Howe (Ipswich), Jean Jolley (Rushcliffe), Chelsea-Mae Laundon (Chelmsford), Amy Crowson (Aylesbury Vale), Dawn French (John O’Gaunt), Anna Fairs (Fynn Valley), Leah Plester (Theydon Bois), Tina Tuckwell (Cretingham) and Julie Richards (Letchworth). All the regional finalists returned the best four scores at their club in the English Women’s Medals during 2011. This will be Sophie’s second trip to the Grand Medal Final where she tied second last year, taking third place on countback. At that time she was playing off 11 handicap and has since reduced to eight – and another hefty cut is on its way after her performance at John O’Gaunt. “I’m really excited about going back,” said Sophie. “And Dad’s excited too!” Her father, Stuart, is a former professional and caddies for her. He also got her interested in the game, which she has been playing seriously for just two years. Sophie played steady golf in yesterday’s regional final, starting with seven straight pars. She had a birdie on the 17th and approached the last hole having dropped only three shots all day – only to take a double bogey. “I was disappointed, but it was still ok – and I did hole some good putts out there as well,” she said. Net qualifying scores Par 74, CSS 77, handicaps in brackets 71 Sophie Mills (Wyboston Lakes, 8) 74 Sarah Howe (Ipswich, 3), Jean Jolley (Rushcliffe, 19), Chelsea-Mae Laundon (Chelmsford, 12), Amy Crowson (Aylesbury Vale, 12), Dawn French (John O’Gaunt, 7), Anna Fairs (Fynn Valley, 19) 76 Leah Plester (Theydon Bois, 19) 77 Tina Tuckwell (Cretingham, 17), Julie Richards (Letchworth, 24). 13 Apr 2012 Bedfordshire golfer leads East qualifiers for Grand Medal Final
In this May 27, 2014 file photo, Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker (10) passes during NFL football minicamp as coach Ken Whisenhunt watches in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A coaching change always creates excitement, bringing the promise of more wins and elusive playoff berths.Ken Whisenhunt’s resume is loaded enough that the Tennessee Titans believe their new boss can end their losing ways.“He understands what perfection looks like,” receiver Nate Washington said. “He understands what a Super Bowl looks like. He understands what getting to that top tier in the NFL is going to take, so his expectation right now is much needed. He understands what it’s going to take for us to get to where we want to be, and that’s hoisting the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the day.”That’s bold talk for a franchise that last reached the postseason in 2008 and last won a playoff game in January 2003. The Titans had losing records four of the past five seasons. New president Tommy Smith fired Mike Munchak after a 7-9 record and went outside team ties in hiring a man with Super Bowl experience.Whisenhunt took the 2008 Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl, and won a championship ring three years earlier as Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator.The Titans made a bunch of other changes, too. They cut one-time 2,000-yard rusher Chris Johnson, long-time kicker Rob Bironas, right tackle David Stewart and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. General manager Ruston Webster brought in a batch of veterans, including Pro Bowl punt returner Dexter McCluster, linebackers Shaun Phillips and Wesley Woodyard, and right tackle Michael Oher. He also re-signed safety Bernard Pollard and kick returner Leon Washington.Whisenhunt brought in Ray Horton as defensive coordinator, and he’s starting to move the Titans from the 4-3 scheme they’ve played for a couple of decades to a 3-4. Webster continues tinkering with the roster, helping ramp up the pressure to perform.“That’s what it needs to be like,” Pollard said. “Guys need to walk around on eggshells. That’s how it needs to be, and I think guys are understanding. Guys are seeing what it’s really like. … With our coaching staff, they eat football, they sleep football. They smell like football, and that’s what we needed.”Some things to watch for at the Titans’ training camp:ALL EYES ON LOCKER: How the Titans fare depends heavily on quarterback Jake Locker. He has missed 14 of 32 games since being chosen the starter, which is why Tennessee did not pick up his 2015 option. But the Titans have made it clear Locker is the starter. Charlie Whitehurst was brought in as the backup.Locker didn’t miss a session on the field this offseason and will go into training camp healthy.“Jake works hard,” Whisenhunt said. “He’s doing a great job as far as studying the offense and understanding his reads, really done a good job with a lot of the little things. His footwork, his technique, we’ve seen improvement there, and that’s really exciting to see.”NO MORE CJ: Johnson was cut in April, so the Titans must replace the NFL’s second-leading rusher since 2008. Bishop Sankey, a second-round pick out of Washington, has a chance at the starting job with veteran Shonn Greene coming off his second knee surgery in the past year. Veteran Dexter McCluster also will be used at running back after catching 53 passes in Kansas City last year. With Johnson, the Titans averaged 4.1 yards per carry in 2013.REPLACING VERNER: Pro Bowl cornerback Alterraun Verner signed with Tampa Bay rather than returning to Tennessee, and the Titans didn’t sign a veteran to replace him. Instead, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, a third-round draft pick in 2013 out of Connecticut, is competing with Coty Sensabaugh to start opposite veteran Jason McCourty.BRAND NEW KICKER: Tennessee unexpectedly cut Bironas in March and brought in Maikon Bonani, who only kicked one field goal in the preseason with the Titans last year. Bonani, a Brazilian native who played at South Florida, at least spent most of the preseason in Tennessee. Travis Coons, an undrafted free agent from Washington, also is competing for the job.TOP DRAFT PICK: The last team to sign its first-round draft pick a year ago, the Titans may cut it close again with left tackle Taylor Lewan. The 11th pick overall out of Michigan remains unsigned. Right guard Chance Warmack missed the first four practices of camp before getting his deal last year.___Online:AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
Submitted by Town and Country RoofingDeanna Wall of Olympia has been named as winner of a new roof in TOWN & COUNTRY ROOFING’s No Roof Left BehindTM initiative.No Roof Left Behind is a nationwide program that gives folks in the community a way to help their good neighbors that have fallen on hard times. The No Roof Left Behind program provides a local contractor the framework to provide a new roof at no cost to a deserving homeowner in need. Town & Country Roofing was the first in Washington State to join this program.DeeAnna is single, full-time working mother of two children. After hard work she managed to become a homeowner. DeeAnna mentions, “I am very thankful that my family has a place to be together and a place called home .” However, soon after moving in the roof started to have problems and being a single mother, being able to afford a new roof wasn’t a possibility.After hearing the news she had received the most votes and won the new roof giveaway, DeeAnna exclaimed, “We are so excited to have won! It is often hard to reach out and ask for help and I am so happy we did. Through the voting process I was continuously amazed and honored by the amount of support we received through votes and the loving comments that were left by family, friends, and community members. We won because each and every one of you. We are beyond thankful! We also want to say thank you to Town and Country Roofing as well as the No Roof Left Behind Program for the unbelievable gift that my family is so lucky to be receiving.”For more information about Town & Country Roofing, their No Roof Left Behind program and interviews with Ron Shincke, please call 360-704-7663 or visitwww.townandcountryroofingwa.com Facebook6Tweet0Pin0
RED BANK — A proposal to construct a six-story hotel at the borough’s northern entrance, which has seen its share of wrinkles, developed ano encountered another on Monday when Ron Gasiorowski, an attorney representing an objector to the application, said that the height of the proposed structure exceeds what is permitted under borough ordinances.The planning board had been scheduled to continue hearing the application by RBank Capital LLC to construct a 76-room Hampton Inn, at the Highway 35 and Rector Place intersection, overlooking the Swimming River.But after a discussion between representatives for the developer, the objector and the planning board attorney the hearing was adjourned until January.The hearing was placed on hold when a representative for the objector discovered a provision in a borough ordinance that restricts a building’s height to 50 feet in the zone if it falls halfway between the river and the nearest parallel roadway, with the ordinance pertaining to such roadways as Front Street, Riverside Avenue, Rector Place and Shrewsbury Avenue.According to prior testimony, the height of the proposed hotel is approximately 80 feet.Following the adjournment, Planning Board Attorney Michael Leckstein said that when hearings resume, the attorney for the developer, Martin A. McGann Jr. will have to show that the project does not violate the ordinance.“I’m not aware of that section,” (of the applicable ordinance) and would have to review it, Leckstein said. Board Engineer Christine Ballard agreed, noting that the language of the ordinance was not clear. “It’s very fuzzy,” she said.McGann said afterwards that the issue at hand is “a very technical point,” but one “I think we’ll be able to address it at the next meeting,” on Jan. 18.This is the latest development in the long hearings on this matter, which over the months has seen a debate over whether it should be heard by the zoning board or planning; over the zoning of the property, and if this would be deemed a permitted use, and the borough council’s decision to change the zoning in hopes of clarifying the issue. A borough resident also brought a lawsuit against the board and developer seeking to block the project, expressing concerns over the size and scope of the plan and arguing it should go before the zoning board to seek a use variance. There also was considerable debate over who is actually the objector, with the objector’s attorney, Ron Gasiorowski, acknowledging there is another party that is paying for the lawsuit, but the lawyer refuses to name that additional party.If the application does violate the ordinance provision, it could mean the application would have to go before the borough zoning board of adjustment (as the named objector, borough resident Steve Mitchell, has maintained in his suit) to seek a variance for a non-permitted use, which has a considerably higher burden of proof than would be required before the planning board. That would mean the process would have to start from the beginning before the zoning board.The developer would like to construct the hotel on the site of a former Exxon gas station, which has been vacant for approximately 14 years. Mitchell, the objector, has argued the project violates existing zoning, is too large for the site, as well as raising issue with contamination of the property.
Castlegar gave the third-place Leafs a little breathing room by knocking off the Murdoch leaders 3-1 Thursday in the Sunflower City. But Nelson still trails Beaver Valley by 14 points.Authur Andrews and Tyler Robinson scored first period goals and Jordan Gluck made 30 saves to spark the Rebel win.The win keeps the Rebels within striking distance — three points — of the Hawks. The teams meet again Friday in Fruitavale.Meanwhile the Leafs travel to Spokane before hosting the Braves in the annual New Years Eve clash at 2 p.m. in the NDCC Arena.Grand Forks, the other Murdoch Division teams, is idle until January 6 when the Bruins host Castlegar. The Nelson Leafs return to the ice today as the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League club begins the unofficial second half to the Junior B season Friday in Spokane.Nelson, 19-13-0-2, enters the final stretch with little room for error as the club trails the two Murdoch Division front runners — Beaver Valley and Castlegar — each by more than 10 points.