Portmore United, last year’s Red Stripe Premier League’s beaten finalists, could have undermined their chances of going one better this year with their untimely separation from technical director Lenworth Hyde.Hyde, according to sources, was informed on Thursday last by Mrs Donna Ming, wife of Herman Ming, who founded the club under its original name, Hazard. Mrs Ming, the Sunday Gleaner was informed, brought Hyde on board in October to assist Coach Linval Dixon as two other members of last season’s coaching staff, Andre Waugh and Geoffrey Hewitt, were not re-engaged.In an attempt to get confirmation, Hyde was contacted, but he declined to shed any light on the matter. While not denying that there was a separation between himself and the club, Hyde said he had no comments to make.”I am neither in a position to comment on the situation nor do I wish to. You will have to speak with Mrs Ming or someone in the leadership of the club,” Hyde said tersely.Pressed further, Hyde again referred the Sunday Gleaner to Mrs Ming, expressed thanks for the call and said he had to go.The Sunday Gleaner called the phone of Mrs Ming no fewer than five times, but on each occasion, it rang and eventually went to voicemail.Hyde, one of the more successful coaches in the league, having led Tivoli Gardens, Portmore United and Harbour View to the title, was said to be very popular with the players and his departure has caused a division in the squad, the source also said.- N.W.
16 January 2008The Irish government has approved a €5-million (about R50-million) grant for building township houses in South Africa, visiting Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern announced on Monday.Ahern said the Irish government’s development agency, Irish Aid, would give the money to the Niall Mellon Township Trust, created by Irish philanthropist Niall Mellon to build homes for impoverished South Africans.“It is up to all of us who care about the future of South Africa to take responsibility and do our bit,” Ahern said during an official visit to the Mitchell’s Plain, Cape Town site where Mellon’s charity is on the verge of completing 330 homes.So far, 239 families have moved out of ramshackle homes in the area into their new brick houses, with the Niall Mellon Townships Initiative aiming to complete 450 homes in the impoverished part of the huge township.The house-building charity has also homes elsewhere in cape Town, and is already well known by the Imizamo Yethu community of Hout Bay in Cape Town for providing many families there with decent homes.Mellon, whose charity began building homes for impoverished South Africans six years ago, accompanied Ahern, Irish Minister of State for Overseas Development Michael Kitt, and Ireland’s ambassador to South Africa, Colin Wrafter, on a tour of Freedom Park.Ahern visited the shack of the Van Schalkwyk family on the edge of the Freedom Park site, in which they have been living for almost 10 years, before viewing the Garden of Hope and the community centre, built by 1 370 Irish volunteers last year.Speaking to reporters and the entourage afterwards, Ahern said he expected that the van Schalkwyk family would be living in a modern brick home before long.This year, the Niall Mellon Township Trust aims to recruit 2 008 volunteers from Ireland to come and spend a week in the area in November and build more homes, and will be chartering seven aircraft to bring them over from Ireland.Already, 3 000 volunteers – drawn from almost every village on the small island of Ireland – have been to South Africa to contribute towards the government’s objective of providing decent homes for all South Africa.This was part of “a deep-rooted desire by Irish people to do their part”, Mellon said.Mellon added that the charity had expanded dramatically in recent years and that he would be removing his name from it at the end of this year in acknowledgement of the efforts of the volunteers and members of the recipient communities.Since its inception in 2002, the charity has built more than 5 000 houses for shack-dwellers, and now provides employment for almost 2 000 people in South Africa, most of them from the townships in which it is working.The charity is hoping to have built 7 000 houses by the end of this year.“It is very difficult to build a good school and send a child home to a shack and expect them to do well academically,” Mellon said.Greeted with applause from the community a song from a group of toddlers, Ahern later escorted a disabled woman, Joyce Saal, and her niece into their new home and handed them the keys.The Irish prime minister said that Ireland was now in sixth position in the world in terms of its aid per capita, adding that the Irish government was committed to reaching the industrialised nations’ target of providing 0.7 percent of GDP to development assistance, and to “stay there at that level of aid”.Source: BuaNews
Tags:#Fitbit#fitness trackers#Huami#Internet of Things#IoT#wearables#Xiaomi Chinese wearables maker Huami recently launched its latest product — the Amazfit smartwatch. Anhui Huami Information Technology Co. Ltd. launched its new connected wearable device in late August.Huami, which is headquartered in the eastern Chinese city of Hefei, is better known as the maker of the Xiaomi fitness tracking wrist band which has sold more than 20 million units.“The Xiaomi band reminds us of the success and glory we have achieved, while the smartwatch represents our ambitions for the future,” said Huang Wang, Huami chief executive officer.Huami was established in early 2014 and financed by Shunwei Capital Partners and Xiaomi Corp, one of China’s leading electronics and smartphone makers. By August Huami had rolled out the Xiaomi wrist band on the market.Since then, Morningside Ventures, Banyan Capital and Sequoia Capital invested another $35 million in Huami. And as the company’s valuation hits $800 million, is now preparing for a third round of funding, according to Huang.Huami takes global second placeThe company was ranked as second in the global wearables market, after U.S. rival Fitbit. As well, Forbes named Huami one of China’s 50 fastest growing technology firms in late 2015.The company’s total sales revenue in 2015 was $151.5 million with 2016 projections expected to grow to $225 million.According to a report on second-quarter wearable sales, Fitbit retained the top spot in the wearables market. It sold 5.7 million fitness trackers in Q2, a 28% year-on-year (YOY) growth. Xiaomi also retained its second place, but only had 2.5% growth YOY.“Basic wearables, which include most fitness trackers, have benefited from a combination of factors: a clear value proposition for end-users, an abundant selection of devices from multiple vendors, and affordable price points,” said IDC’s Ramon Llamas. Small Business Cybersecurity Threats and How to… Follow the Puck Donal Power Internet of Things Makes it Easier to Steal You… Related Posts Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces
Lata MangeshkarNoted playback singer Lata Mangeshkar and her sister Usha will be awarded the Tana-Riri Sangeet Sanman Award today for their contributions in the field of music.The Gujarat government has instituted this award to mark the golden jubilee celebration of the two-day Tana Riri festival this year, Bhagyesh Jha, Youth & Sports Secretary, told PTI.The festival is organised every year in the memory of Gujarat’s classical music duo Tana and Riri.The award will be presented to Usha Mangeshkar by Chief Minister Narendra Modi. However, Lata will not be present at the occasion, Jha said.Beside the Mangeshkar sisters, Dhari Panchamda, who began her record-breaking classical music endeavour near the tomb of Tana-Riri in Vadnagar on November 11, will also be honoured for completing singing about 109 ragas for 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds this afternoon, Jha said.”Dhari’s world record will be the truest tribute to Tana and Riri,” state Cultural Minister Fakirbhai Vaghela said.
Story Highlights Forty-four youngsters who have been in conflict with the law have been given a second chance to turn their life around and make a positive contribution to society. Following assessment, the participants, who were referred by the DCS, received psychosocial services, vocational skills training in areas such as auto mechanics and general construction, remedial education, counselling and consistent monitoring and follow-up by CSJP case management officers. At a ceremony held at the Ministry of National Security’s Oxford Road offices on Monday (March 19) to celebrate the success of the beneficiaries, Portfolio State Minister, Senator the Hon. Pearnel Charles Jr., commended the CSJP III and its partners for the transformative work. Forty-four youngsters who have been in conflict with the law have been given a second chance to turn their life around and make a positive contribution to society.Over the past two years, the youngsters have been engaged in a reintegration programme being undertaken by the Citizen Security and Justice Programme (CSJP) III in partnership with the Department of Correctional Services (DCS).Following assessment, the participants, who were referred by the DCS, received psychosocial services, vocational skills training in areas such as auto mechanics and general construction, remedial education, counselling and consistent monitoring and follow-up by CSJP case management officers.Ten additional persons are currently engaged in the programme.At a ceremony held at the Ministry of National Security’s Oxford Road offices on Monday (March 19) to celebrate the success of the beneficiaries, Portfolio State Minister, Senator the Hon. Pearnel Charles Jr., commended the CSJP III and its partners for the transformative work.“This is an opportunity for us to say to Jamaica, to those who are most vulnerable and at-risk, that those that some label as not deserving can become the best among us. They can become the next generation of champions to move our country forward,” he noted.He expressed the hope that the publicity around the programme will inspire confidence in those struggling to maintain a positive path in society.“To achieve greatness [in the country]…, we have to treat with crime and violence. We have to create an environment where people feel confident, where people can trust again, where people believe in themselves, in the process and in the system,” Senator Charles Jr. argued.He pointed out that the Ministry is working to ensure that rehabilitation and redemption are not just theoretical, but that efforts produce positive and tangible results “to show to our country that we are making a sustainable and real difference”.Senator Charles Jr. hailed the beneficiaries, who have worked to transform their attitudes and circumstances, and urged them to be ambassadors for the Ministry and the CSJP in their communities.“We expect you to walk and to talk and to conduct yourself in such a way that others looking on know that you have benefited from the CSJP programme and know that they too can change,” he added.The young people involved in the reintegration initiative also benefited from the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) Internship Programme, aimed at improving the employability and social skills of participants as well as the relationship between young men and the security forces.They are part of a wider pool of 2,319 youth from across 50 volatile communities across eight parishes, who have benefited from the case management services under CSJP III since January 2016.CSJP case managers and other service providers have reported significant improvement in the participants’ general outlook on life, productivity, sense of purpose and their problem-solving skills.The CSJP is funded by the Government of Jamaica; Inter-American Development Bank (IDB); Britain’s Department for International Development; and Global Affairs Canada formerly Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) of Canada.