Portmore United, last year’s Red Stripe Premier League’s beaten finalists, could have undermined their chances of going one better this year with their untimely separation from technical director Lenworth Hyde.Hyde, according to sources, was informed on Thursday last by Mrs Donna Ming, wife of Herman Ming, who founded the club under its original name, Hazard. Mrs Ming, the Sunday Gleaner was informed, brought Hyde on board in October to assist Coach Linval Dixon as two other members of last season’s coaching staff, Andre Waugh and Geoffrey Hewitt, were not re-engaged.In an attempt to get confirmation, Hyde was contacted, but he declined to shed any light on the matter. While not denying that there was a separation between himself and the club, Hyde said he had no comments to make.”I am neither in a position to comment on the situation nor do I wish to. You will have to speak with Mrs Ming or someone in the leadership of the club,” Hyde said tersely.Pressed further, Hyde again referred the Sunday Gleaner to Mrs Ming, expressed thanks for the call and said he had to go.The Sunday Gleaner called the phone of Mrs Ming no fewer than five times, but on each occasion, it rang and eventually went to voicemail.Hyde, one of the more successful coaches in the league, having led Tivoli Gardens, Portmore United and Harbour View to the title, was said to be very popular with the players and his departure has caused a division in the squad, the source also said.- N.W.
Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history MOST READ Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college LATEST STORIES This is the first time the 43-year-old Woods has withdrawn from a tournament in two years, shortly before his fourth back surgery to fuse his lower spine.Woods is an eight-time winner at Bay Hill.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsHe says he hopes to be ready the following week for The Players Championship.Woods has played three times this year, with his best finish a tie for 10th in Mexico City. Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next 1st female gamers qualify for NBA 2K League draft pool Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying FILE – US golfer Tiger Woods waits for his turn on the green of the 18th hole during the third round of the PGA World Golf Championship, at Chapultepec’s Golf Club in Mexico City on February 23, 2019. (Photo by Alfredo ESTRELLA / AFP)ORLANDO, Fla. — Tiger Woods has withdrawn from the Arnold Palmer Invitational with what he describes as a neck strain.Woods announced his decision Monday on Twitter. He says his lower back is fine and he has no concerns over the long run. Woods says he’s had the neck strain for a few weeks and it hasn’t improved with treatment to the point he feels he can play.ADVERTISEMENT Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments