Minister Regina Doherty has expressed condolences in the Dáil to the family of a Letterkenny who died after it took an ambulance 71 minutes to reach her home just 2km away.An inquest at Letterkenny Coroner’s Court yesterday heard that mother-of-eight Margaret Callaghan died in the early hours of January 9, 2018 after waiting for an ambulance at Mountain Top.The coroner hearing the inquest called on the HSE to review their protocols for ambulance turnaround times at hospitals across the country following the tragedy. In the Dáil, Ms Doherty admitted that an increase in the number of patients attending emergency departments has in turn put extra strain on ambulance services.However, Fianna Fáil deputy leader, Dara Calleary, said that blaming increases in patient numbers shows a “complete disconnect between the Government and what’s happening in hospitals”.He said: “The difficulties in our emergency departments are nothing to do with people getting sick and presenting to emergency departments — they are to do with the fact that there were 300 or fewer staff nurses employed in our system in October compared to last December. There’s 350 consultant vacancies.”Mr Calleary said 20 extra beds were promised for Letterkenny University Hospital but only 10 have opened. “That is where the difficulties are — our emergency departments are under-resourced, are understaffed, nursing resources and consulting resources that are absolutely necessary are not in place.”Ms Doherty expressed her condolences to the family and told the Dáil that she hopes no other family has to go through a similar tragedy:“I can’t genuinely begin to probably understand or appreciate how difficult it will be for them to get over her death given that it potentially shouldn’t have happened.”She added: “It’s the case that when the emergency care hospital system is under pressure, there’s going to the potential for delays in the transfer patients from an ambulance into our emergency departments.”She said ambulance turnaround times are currently below target. ‘We cannot say exactly where it is going to end up’ – Chairman on children’s hospital costsBetween January and October this year, 85.5% of ambulances achieved a turnaround time 60 minutes or less, which is below the target of 95%.Ms Doherty told the Dáil that in the first 10 months of 2019, the numbers of patients attending hospital emergency departments increased by 2.7% across the country and the number of emergency department admissions increased by 1% compared to the same period last year.“But I do understand that the trolley numbers at 8am in Letterkenny University Hospital have been persistently high for this entire year,” said Ms Doherty. Minister expresses condolences to family after ambulance debacle was last modified: December 6th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:ambulancedaildonegalhospitalMargaret CallaghanMinisteroffload delays
Fortuna head coach Mike Benbow has routinely talked about how difficult it is to play in Crescent City no matter what kind of Del Norte team his Huskies are facing every season.That annual trip north is now here.Fortuna — which hasn’t lost since its season opener in late-August — opens up the second half of its schedule with one of its most difficult road tests of the 2017 season, traveling two hours up U.S. Highway 101 to face Del Norte in a meeting of the Big 5’s two 1-0 teams.Fortuna (4-1 …
SINGAPORE Airlines says it will be a case of “watch this space’’ as it brings in the first of five new Airbus A380s next year sporting premium product that will improve on its already impressive new-generation business seats.The Singaporean carrier created waves for manufacturer Airbus when it decided not to renew the 10-year lease on its first Airbus A380. The announcement came as Malaysia Airlines revealed it was in discussions with airlines in the region about offloading its fleet of six A380s.SIA may also not renew four more leases due to end, although a decision on that has yet to be made.But Singapore Airlines (SIA) executive vice president commercial Mak Swee Wah says the days of the double-decker superjumbo are not over yet.“The A380 probably has its niche,’’ Mak told AIrlineRatings during the recent inaugural flight of the Capital Express linking Singapore, Canberra and Wellington. “It is still the relevant plane for those key city pairs were traffic is dense and so I think it’s question of when you want to expand there’s this constant debate over capacity versus frequency.“So I think … it will be relevant of our fleet but a lot more of the services will be run by twin-engine planes.’’Mak said the decision against renewing the first lease was a result of the airline’s assessment of the need for the plane.“At this point in time, with the new ones coming in, we think that we really don’t need to expand the fleet so that’s why we are letting the lease expire,’’ he said. “When the decision time for the next few comes along then we will make the same new evaluation and if we don’t need to expand then we will do the same.’’The SIA executive would not be drawn on what was planned for the new aircraft, other than to say it would be better than its latest generation business class product.“I will say watch this space when the time comes,’’ he said.Read our review of Singapore Airlines’ new business seat.Singapore prides itself on the low average age of its fleet and it has already taken the first 67 A350s set to form the backbone of its fleet. These include seven ultra-long-range versions of the A350-900 deigned to fly up to 19 hours on non-stop flights between Singapore and New York.The A350-900ULR includes a modified fuel system and aerodynamic improvements that allow it to carry more fuel with an increased maximum take-off weight (MTOW) on services to the US.Also on order are 30 Boeing 787-10s, which will be the mainstay of the airline’s medium-haul fleet and are due to start arriving in 2018. “So there are a lot of new aircraft coming in and as they come in then the older 777s. which used to be the core of our fleet, will then be retired,’’ Mak said.Although Boeing has approached the Singaporean carrier about its next generation of Boeing 777s, Mak said no decision had been made.The influx of new planes into the region has been one of the factors responsible for increased competition that has pushed down air fares and airline yields.Mak does not believe there will be any rationalisation of capacity in the near term and said expert commentary suggested the world economy would continue to languish for some time.“It’s hard to predict,’’ he said. “I think t for the moment there is still a lot of airplanes which have been ordered which will be coming into service.“That’s why we on SIA’s side – not just SIA but the rest of the group – we have to continue with our growth and expansion plan to make sure that we get our fair share of the action.’’Like everyone else in the Asia-Pacific, Mak sees China as the biggest growth area and says all four members of the SIA Group — Singapore Airlines, SilkAir, Scoot and Tigerair — have expanded their presence there.He also sees a role for the new Singapore-Canberra-Wellington service as alternate gateway for Chinese tourists. There were about 90 visitors from China on the inaugural Boeing 777-200 flight and Mak said Singapore would do its share to promote traffic from the huge market to Australasia.And despite some scepticism about the route from competitors, Mak said putting the cities together made sense, with residents in both cities excited about the service and the response so far “encouraging”. The airline hopes to turn the four-times weekly route into a daily service as part of an expansion in the South-West Pacific that has seen the number of weekly flights to the region grow in recent years from 100 to 156. “We certainly hope to make it a success, especially with the support of the authorities, of the airport, of the tourism bodies,’’ Mak said“Both (cities) are equally strong and we’ll see over time as the market grows, how we can expand this further.’’He agreed one advantage of the markets was their relative affluence and pointed to the the wide range of groups in both cities with reasons to travel.“There’s government, there’s academia, there’s business people and the more affluent leisure traveller,’’ he added. “And also I think we do want to let the rest of the world know that there are some hidden gems around. It doesn’t come top of mind when we do overseas tourists but I think we need to do some work to let people know there’s more to Australia and New Zealand than just traditional gateways.’’SIA is working on the route with alliance partners Virgin Australia, which is providing lounge facilities in Canberra, and Air New Zealand, which provides them in Wellington.Air New Zealand chief strategy, networks and alliance officer Stephen Jones described the new route as a great addition to the alliance.’’Air NZ has authorisation through its alliance to co-operate with SIA to Singapore but Mr Jones said this did not extend to passengers flying across the Tasman. “But passengers flying from New Zealand via Wellington over Canberra to Singapore and beyond will be included in our alliance and in our revenue share,’’ he said.Singapore and AirNZ now co-operate on twice daily services out of Auckland, daily out of Christchurch and the four times weekly Wellington service.Steve Creedy travelled to Singapore, Canberra and Wellington courtesy of Singapore Airlines.
15 April 2014Last week was one of the busiest on record for anti-poaching units in South Africa’s Kruger National Park, with three heavily armed groups of suspected rhino poachers being detected and eight arrests being made.The eight arrests included those of two South African National Parks (SANParks) employees. According to spokesperson Reynold Thakhuli, the two SANParks men appeared on Wednesday in the White River Magistrate’s Court, where their case was remanded to 16 April for a formal bail application.Thakhuli said most of last week’s incidents took place in the southern part of the park, in areas such as Crocodile Bridge, Kingfisherspruit, Tshokwane and Stolsnek.On Thursday, he said, rangers from Crocodile Bridge arrested two suspected poachers, believed to be Zimbabwean nationals, as they were leaving the park, recovering a G3 military type rifle along with a silencer and ammunition.On Friday, rangers from the Kingfisherspruit area apprehended another two suspected poachers, arresting one while recovering a .458 rifle, silencer, ammunition and poaching equipment. The second suspect managed to escape arrest.Tshokwane rangers apprehended a further two suspects on Saturday, making one arrest and recovering a .375 hunting rifle, ammunition and poaching equipment. The second suspect managed to escape back to Mozambique.And on Sunday, in Stolsnek, rangers apprehended a group of five suspected poachers, arresting two of them with the help of SANParks Airwing and canine units. Thakhuli said the hunt for the remaining three suspects, who managed to escape, was still on.“This is a clear indication that resilience and patience pays off, and we are grateful that no lives were lost during an encounter with these heavily armed suspected poachers.”He said the anti-poaching units are ready for the coming long weekend, with many deployments routes, particularly in poaching hot-spots, being plotted out.“We will be ready and waiting for them, and we would like to request the support and cooperation of all members of society in identifying and reporting suspicious behavior that could lead to the apprehension and conviction of these criminals.”The public can report incidents of poaching and give tip-offs to the anonymous tip-off lines 0800 205 005, 08600 10111 or Crime Line on 32211.SAinfo reporter
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest 2015 Trade TalkMidwest Dairy Association Chairman Jerry Messer and the Ohio Ag Net’s Dale Minyo visit about giving the dairy farmer more credit for the research being done through checkoff dollars. (Aired 11/12/15 on Ohio Ag Net)Midwest Dairy Jerry Messer