Keenan Revue set for Stepan

first_imgThe Keenan Revue will be held in the Stepan Center on Feb. 10 – 12, marking its return to Notre Dame’s campus from its previous venue, Saint Mary’s O’Laughlin Auditorium. “Last year, we found out through The Observer that we couldn’t use the venue anymore,” producer Chase Riddle, a junior, said. “They said it wasn’t keeping with their mission statement. We went on a wild goose chase to find something comparable [in size].” Riddle said they searched for a place starting immediately after last year’s Revue, looking at options on and off campus. They finalized the use of the Stepan Center this fall. “We wanted to bring it back to Notre Dame,” director Grayson Duren, a junior, said. Riddle said this year’s Revue is titled “Keenan Revue: Too Big For Saint Mary’s,” and ticket distribution begins today at 4 p.m. at the gate three of the Joyce Center. Each student can bring two student IDs and get two tickets per student ID, Burley said. There will be 1,300 tickets per show, with three showings. Keenan residents will also receive tickets. Riddle said the Revue has been growing less offensive. “What surprises me is we were going into past scripts, and they were vulgar,” he said. “In our two years [working with the Revue], it’s been much cleaner.” Duren said the jokes have become more clever. “We’ve been moving away from vulgarity because they’ve been censoring skits,” Nick Burley, Keenan Hall co-president and junior, said. “…The best thing you can do is find a balance between the two. Witty skits are just okay. Vulgar ones are hit or miss. Skits that strike the balance are the best.” Duren said the Revue has 26 to 28 segments, including two speeches, four songs performed by the band and 20 to 22 skits. Keenan residents create the skits and bring them to the Revue staff on tryout days, Duren said. After a few initial rounds, the remaining skits are brought before Keenan rector Fr. Dan Nolan. “If it’s someone’s idea, they’ll be in [the skit],” Burley said. “It’s neat. You usually see a skit all the way through the creative process to onstage.” The skits are put into a script, which is then censored by the rector, Riddle said. “[In 2009] there was one skit cut,” Riddle said. “No full skits were cut this year.” The musicians are all Keenan residents too. “There is a good array of music this year,” Riddle said. “Everyone is going to be happy about the two ‘exotic dancer’ songs.” The participants will be rehearsing through the week, Riddle said. Duren said the dancers take collections during the Revue for Keenan’s Hall Scholarship, which the rector distributes the funds to hall residents. Alumni donations fund approximately 80 percent of the Revue, which cannot be paid for completely by Student Activities Office funding, Riddle said.last_img read more

Continue reading

Cricket News Virat Kohli powers India to series-levelling win in Sydney T20I versus Australia

first_imgNew Delhi: Virat Kohli was back in his familiar No.3 position in the Indian batting line-up. The Indian skipper was once again involved in a tense chase. The outcome was also familiar. Kohli (61*) blasted his 19th Twenty20 international fifty and India clinched the third and final Twenty20 International in Sydney by six wickets with two balls to spare. With the series level 1-1, India ensured that their unbeaten bilateral series run in this format since July 2017 extended into 2019 as well. Kohli was well-supported by Dinesh Karthik, who showed calmness at the other end after India threatened to throw away a blazing start set-up by Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma in their pursuit of 165.Read More | Shikhar Dhawan creates unique T20I world record in SydneyAustralia had received a boost with Mitchell Starc being included in the playing XI and both Indian openers treated the speedster with respect. Dhawan and Rohit opened up in the second over by targeting Nathan Coulter-Nile, with Rohit finding the square leg boundary and Dhawan walking across his stumps to pull a short ball to long leg. In the fourth over, Coulter-Nile was once again in the receiving end of a vicious assault as both Rohit and Dhawan hit sixes. The carnage worsened for Australia as Marcus Stoinis was hammered for 22 runs in his one over, with the left-handed Dhawan blasting a six and two fours.Read More | Krunal Pandya creates record in Sydney T20I against AustraliaIndia had raced to 67/0 in the sixth over before Starc, playing his first Twenty20 International since 2016, trapped Dhawan LBW for 41 off 22 balls after Australia opted for the review. Australia clawed back into the contest, with legspinner Adam Zampa breaching Rohit’s (23) defence with a quick, skiddy delivery. With both openers gone cheaply, the onus was on Kohli.Middle overs dominationKL Rahul tried to steady the ship by lofting Coulter-Nile for a six over deep midwicket but the Australian spinners Zampa and Glenn Maxwell kept a tight check on the runs. India managed to hit only one boundary in five overs and the mounting pressure consumed Rahul, who miscued Maxwell to be caught for 14. When Andrew Tye dismissed Rishabh Pant for a golden duck, India’s unbeaten run was in danger. However, with Kohli still there, the sold-out crowd at the SCG knew something special was on the cards and the Indian skipper delivered.Read More | India vs Australia 3rd T20: Kohli 61* gives side six-wicket winKohli broke the shackles in the 16th over by carving Tye over backward point for a four and then gloriously lofting the bowler inside-out over wide long-off for a six. The Indian skipper continued to ride the momentum and neared his fifty by clobbering Maxwell for a flat six over deep midwicket. At the other end, Dinesh Karthik showed his calmness and he ensured the contest went India’s way by launching Tye into the second tier of the stands and cracking Starc to the boundary. Kohli smashed two boundaries to seal the win in style after Australia had recovered to a good score despite Krunal Pandya’s great spell.Read More | Mitchell Starc boosts Australia in T20Is after two yearsKrunal breaks AustraliaAustralia, opting to bat, started off well with Aaron Finch and D’Arcy Short stringing a solid opening partnership. Finch survived a dropped chance in Krunal’s first over as Rohit dropped the catch at long on, raising more questions on India’s fielding. However, Kuldeep Yadav sent back Finch for 28 and that ushered a period when Australia swept themselves into oblivion. Krunal got the wickets of Short (33) and Ben McDermott (0) in quick succession and he ensured Australia did not have any momentum by getting rid of Maxwell (13).When Alex Carey holed out to Kohli for 27, Krunal achieved the best figures by a spinner in Twenty20 Internationals in Australia and his haul of 4/36 put Australia on the backfoot. Some cameos towards the end by Coulter-Nile and Stoinis got Australia past 160 but in the end, Australia were undone by the familiar sight of Kohli scoring big in a chase. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Continue reading

USC trustee resigns from stadium board

first_imgUSC trustee Rick Caruso resigned from the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission  on Wednesday amid criticism that his role with the university, which has expressed interest in controlling the stadium, has prevented him from serving the commission effectively.Empty seat · USC trustee Rick Caruso said he will no longer serve on the Coliseum Commission because it is being poorly managed. – Carlo Acenas | Daily TrojanThe governing body, which comprises representatives from the state, county and city, is expected to negotiate a master lease with USC to transfer control of the Coliseum from the commission to the university.“Given the concern raised by some members of the commission about my dual role as a Trustee at the University of Southern California and as a Commissioner, I feel my ability to continue my work to transform this Commission and the effectiveness to assure the future reliability of the Coliseum may be restricted in the future,” Caruso said in his resignation letter.USC acknowledged its desire to take control of the stadium, which hosts USC’s home football games, at the end of August. The university is currently using the Coliseum as part of a 25-year agreement that requires the university to give the commission 8 percent of ticket sales and $1.8 million annually, under the condition that the commission upgrades the stadium.The commission has until today to provide USC with a plan for implementing the upgrades, according to the lease agreement. If the commission does not meet this obligation, the university can declare a default, Los Angeles City Councilman Bernard Parks told the Daily Trojan in August.Parks, who also sits on the commission and whose council district includes the stadium, opposes the master lease out of a belief that the Coliseum, a publicly owned stadium, should not be controlled by a private institution.Parks urged the panel to exclude Caruso from negotiations involving USC. An attorney for the commission told Caruso earlier in the month he would have to recuse himself from talks about the school’s lease, according to the Los Angeles Times.“This commission may be well-intended, but I think they are lost. I think they’re absolutely lost,” Caruso said after the commission’s last meeting on Sept. 7. “They don’t understand business. … They don’t know how to manage, and they have allowed this facility to be completely mismanaged.”Were the commission to default, the university could start the improvements to the stadium and bill the commission, with the possibility the commission might not be able to afford it, Parks said in August.In his resignation letter, Caruso expressed support for USC’s greater involvement in the stadium’s operation.“I strongly support the current direction of having USC take a lead operating role due to their historical and current use of the Coliseum, financial capability to ensure the viability of this historical landmark and positive commitment to the local community,” he said in his letter of resignation.Both Parks and USC administrators declined to comment on Caruso’s resignation.last_img read more

Continue reading