Concussions suffered by three quarterbacks and a running back Sunday has prompted NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith two renew his call for the league to hire “concussion specialists” with no team affiliation who would man the sidelines to oversee concussion protocols and treat players.The players’ union continues to be frustrated over what it perceives to be an inconsistency among teams to adhere to concussion guidelines.The concussions suffered Sunday by quarterbacks Michael Vick, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith and running back Fred Jackson drew particular attention Monday from the union, which will review the injuries and adherence to guidelines based on initial observations, NFLPA sources said. Players are entitled to file a grievance if they want to pursue claims against teams. Union sources say most players are reluctant to file complaints for fear of decreased job security.Only one of the defensive players involved on the hits to the quarterbacks is under league review for potential discipline, a source told ESPN. Texans linebacker Tim Dobbins drew a penalty flag for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cutler and could be fined.Smith suffered a concussion when tackled by Rams linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Vick left with a concussion after being hit by Cowboys linebacker Ernie Sims. Neither of those hits were penalized and the league has determined both were perfectly legal.NFLPA sources said the union wants the league to accept responsibility for creating a disciplined, prompt and safe environment for players who are injured during the course of a game. They said the union wants concussion specialists, paid not by the teams but by the league, to assume the duties of caring for players, in accordance with normal employer workplace oversight.In last year’s collective bargaining negotiations, the union gained access to player medical information and the ability to conduct its own reviews of how teams evaluate and treat all injuries, including head and neck trauma.
Elaine Welteroth has stepped down as editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue and is leaving Condé Nast, bringing an abrupt end to a six-year run that saw her rise from beauty editor at Glamour to the youngest editor-in-chief in Condé Nast history.“We talked to Elaine about a number of different opportunities but ultimately she decided to go in a different direction,” reads an official statement given to Folio: by a Condé Nast spokesperson. “She was instrumental in the successful launch of the Teen Vogue Summit and [we] know that she will carry that same passion and enthusiasm into her next venture. We wish her all the best in what we know will be an incredible career.”The revelation comes days after Condé tapped CNN’s Samantha Barry as the next editor-in-chief of Glamour, ending a four-month search for Cindi Leive’s successor. Welteroth, who shifted over to Teen Vogue from Glamour in 2012, was widely speculated to be among the frontrunners for Leive’s old job, although the company never publicly identified any candidates. The obvious choice to lead Teen Vogue going forward is Philip Picardi, currently digital editorial director for both Teen Vogue and Allure, who co-ran the brand with Welteroth until her elevation to editor-in-chief last April.Teen Vogue shuttered its print edition in December while Condé Nast indicated plans to invest further in the brand’s growing digital presence—largely the fruit of Welteroth and Picardi’s work shifting the brand’s coverage to focus increasingly on social and political issues as well as fashion and celebrity content, the brand’s historical bread and butter.No word yet on what’s next for Welteroth, but for what it’s worth, The Hollywood Reporter added minutes after Fashionista first broke the news that she has signed with talent agency CAA.
WILMINGTON, MA — Wilmington High School Class of 2003 is celebrating its 15-Year Reunion on Saturday, November 24, 2018, from 7pm to 11pm, at the Wilmington Knights of Columbus Hall (downstairs).Tickets cost $5 at the door. Email any questions to KristieC@chchne.com.(Do you know of any other Wilmington High or Shawsheen Tech reunions coming up? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWHS Class Of 1969 Announces 50th Reunion On September 14In “Education”WHS Class Of 1979 Announces 40th Reunion On September 21In “Education”Shawsheen Tech Alumni Association Announces 3 Class ReunionsIn “Education”
Google’s Stadia head Phil Harrison announces the new service. James Martin/CNET When you think of ways to play big-name video games, you probably think of Xbox, PlayStation or Switch. If Google has its way, you’ll soon be considering its Stadia service too. The tech giant announced its new streaming game service at a press event during the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco on Tuesday. The new service, called Stadia, is designed as a way for people to play and watch gaming together, Google said. The company said it plans to bring together players, broadcasters on YouTube and game developers to create a new experience. It’ll launch later this year, Google said, without saying anything about how much it’ll cost. • See All 3:53 Mar 21 • Google Stadia puts Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC gaming on notice Now playing: Watch this: Apr 30 • How to preorder Oculus Quest and Rift S right now Comments Apr 30 • Facebook’s new Oculus Rift S vs. Oculus Quest: Which VR headset is for you? Now playing: Watch this: Google Nvidia Google, your next gaming destination? Game Developers Conference Gaming Tech Industry Digital Media Online Google rolls out Stadia gaming service and controller Google has a controllerThe rumors were true: Google has developed a controller for its Stadia service. But unlike most gaming controllers, which connect to a video game console, the Stadia controller is designed to connect directly to the internet, to ensure the fastest connection.The Stadia controller Claudia Cruz/CNET Stadia streams at high qualityGoogle said its service currently streams video at 1080p, 60 fps. But at launch later this year, Google said it should be capable of 4K video at 60fps, and in the future it’ll be able to output 8K video at 120fps. Google already has partnersThe company said it’s working with Ubisoft, makers of the popular Assassin’s Creed adventure games, and id Software, makers of Doom, to bring games to the service.Google is going to make its own gamesThe company also said it has started a game-making studio, much like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have done. The company didn’t show off any games it has planned, but it’s recruited industry veterans such as former Electronic Arts and Ubisoft executive Jade Raymond.We don’t know how much it’ll costOf all the things Google did announce, it didn’t put a price tag on any of it. It’s fair to assume the games will likely cost the same they typically do on a standard Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo, but the company’s staying quiet for now.Yves Guillemot, CEO of Ubisoft, said in an interview after the event that he expects several different approaches, from direct purchase to game rentals where you sign up to play for a certain number of hours.Stadia is designed with YouTube in mindGoogle showed off how Stadia can stream video to spectators, and also offer them ways to join in. One example Google described was a “play” button on a YouTube video that brings you straight into the game on Stadia. Another example was allowing gamers watching someone play a basketball game, for example, to click a link to join in.Google also said Stadia will have a “State Share” feature, where people can share a link that allows someone to play starting exactly at the same spot in the game that they are.Google wants developers to use Stadia tooGoogle said it’s partnered with game development software makers like Epic Games, Unity and CryEngine to ensure game developers can take advantage of its technology.What do Google’s competitors say?Microsoft said in a statement that it’s “a great time to a gamer,” and noted that it’s devoted to offering choice as well through its upcoming Project xCloud service.Sony and Nintendo didn’t respond to requests for comment.Not everyone likes the logoIt’s getting roasted for looking too ’90s. 3 CNET’s Lori Grunin contributed to this report.Originally published March 12.Updates, March 19, 9:55 a.m. PT: Adds details from Google and expectations for the event; 11:55 a.m. PT: Adds info on everything just announced; 2 p.m. PT: Adds Microsoft comment. “Our ambition is far beyond a single game,” said Google’s Phil Harrison. Instead, the company sees the opportunity to give players “instant access” to a game by clicking a link. “The power of instant access is magical, and it’s already transformed the music and movie industries.”Enlarge ImageGoogle teased its announcement with a video game museum. James Martin/CNET The service allows gamers to play standard PC games within anything that can browse the web, including a TV, a phone, a tablet and of course a PC. The games are powered by Google’s high-performance computers, which then stream the images to the web browser in a similar way Netflix streams videos. And they’re streamed at up to 4K high-definition video, at 60 frames per second, meaning animations will move smoothly. Gamers play using a controller Google designed, which connects through Wi-Fi to Stadia’s systems.”It’s seamless,” Harrison said. Google isn’t the only company doing this. Sony’s offered its PlayStation Now game streaming service since 2014, and chipmaker Nvidia offers one called GeForce Now. Microsoft is also readying an Xbox-related game streaming service, called Project xCloud, expected in the next couple of years. Here’s everything we know about Google’s service so far.It uses the ‘cloud’The service relies on Google’s massive global network of computers and servers that delivers YouTube, Google Maps and Gmail to you already. Google said it’s developed specialized graphics and computer chips to make its systems work particularly well for gaming. reading • Google Stadia gaming at GDC 2019: Everything just announced 1:56 Game Developers Conference Mar 21 • Intel intros 9th-gen Core H mobile CPUs, Graphics Command Center Tags Share your voice 13 Photos Google Stadia is a play-anywhere streaming game platform…
NASA’s aerospace engineer, Mark Moore, who has been working with the space agency for the past three decades, has been hired by Uber, the American transportation network company, to design a flying car.Also Read: Does NASA have a captured UFO hidden in California’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory?Uber Elevate, the flying car initiative, will have Moore as its director, in the hope that he will be able to drive the initiative to create flying cars that will be available commercially.These “air taxis” will be small aircraft that will have the ability of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL).Moore carried out research on VTOL and came up with the idea of an electric aircraft named Puffin in 2010, a unique airplane that’s also a VTOL tailsitter. The Puffin was quite the internet sensation. The Puffin personal air vehicle concept.NASAPAV on YouTube”The animation of the Puffin on YouTube has gotten more 648,000 hits in a week,” Moore said, according to NASA.”Until the concept was mentioned in the media on Jan 19, the video had only been clicked on a couple of thousand times since it was uploaded to the NASAPAV channel last November,” Moore said further.Larry Page, the Google co-founder came across Moore’s research work on VTOL craft and he funded two companies, Zee Aero and Kitty Hawk, to turn this technology into reality, Bloomberg Businessweek stated in a report.Uber Technologies Inc, is one of Google’s competitors in this area. On October 27, 2016, Uber published a report on their ideas regarding transforming the prevailing way we transport ourselves. The company aims at curbing time wastage on daily commutes.”Every day, millions of hours are wasted on the road worldwide. Last year, the average San Francisco resident spent 230 hours commuting between work and home1 —that’s half a million hours of productivity lost every single day,” Uber stated in its white paper.Uber also hopes to solve the issue of noise pollution, stress, as well as other health issues. People traveling more than 16 kilometres (10 miles) a day were more prone to high-blood pressure, according to the American Journal of Preventative Medicine. Passengers will be transported to vertiports situated at a distance of 80 to 100 km (50 miles to 100 miles) from each other.UberAccording to Uber, the long-distance commuter will benefit from VTOL technology. Passengers will be transported to vertiports situated at a distance ranging from 50 miles to 100 miles (80 to 100 kilometers) of each other, Bloomberg Technology reported.According to Moore, various flying cars will come online within the next one to three years, with human pilots in the foreseeable future.
4 children of a family among 5 killed in Cox’s Bazar landslides. Photo : Prothom AloAt least four children of a family among five were killed in separate landslides in Cox’s Bazar district early Wednesday.Witnesses said three daughters and a son of a Saudi expatriate, Md Jamal Hossain, were killed in a landslide in Bancha Mia Ghona area of Cox’s Bazar municipality.The deceased are Marzia Akter, 14, Kafia Aktar, 10, Khairunnesa, 6, and Abdul Hai, 10.Local people said Jamal Hossain’s wife Chinuara was injured in the incident.Abdullah Mamun and Gias Uddin, residents of the municipality, told Prothom Alo that a 70-80 feet hill collapsed on the house of Jamal Hossain around 6:00am.All of the family members were asleep then, the locals added. Locals, according to the witnesses, rescued the injured and sent them to Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital where doctors declared the children dead.In Ramu upazila’s Mithaichhari area, a landslide killed another child.The deceased is Morshed Alam, 6, son of a certain Zafar Alam.Cox’s Bazar Sadar Model police station officer-in-charge Farid Uddin Khandakar has confirmed the casualties in the incidents this morning.The bodies of the deceased are kept in the hospital morgue, the OC added.
Designer Aneeth Arora’s collection Pero Spring 2014 is on display at Moon River in the Capital. The collection consists of an exclusive array of ethereal whites with vintage beading. Arora’s particular brand of anti-fit, frumpy chic clothing is a hardsell in India, where the average person won’t understand the concept of paying four figures for a mulmul shirt. However, her understanding of delicate textiles and persistent effort in elevating their status has earned her fans among international buyers and won her Vogue India’s first-ever Fashion Fund Award. All of which combined has turned her into a hot ticket on the Indian fashion circuit.Alhough Arora is not one to experiment with silhouettes or colours, this collection offered far more variety than her usual efforts. Her dainty slip dresses are ephemeral, but her collection also includes androgynous pant suits, decked out in hot pink gingham checks. Even saris made it to the final cut, polka dotted and worn with soft jackets instead of the traditional choli blouse.
In a bid to improve infrastructural development in the national Capital, the Delhi Assembly on Friday passed a private member bill to bring Delhi Development Authority (DDA) under the control of the Delhi government, amid claims that the land-owning agency has no free land for infrastructural development. AAP MLA Sanjiv Jha moved a resolution in the Assembly seeking DDA to come under the Delhi government. Moving the proposal on Friday, Jha said: “The DDA has failed to execute the master plan and it is responsible for the condition of the unauthorised colonies. If Delhi government needs land, it has to place a request before the DDA.” Also Read – Company director arrested for swindling Rs 345 croreHe alleged that corruption in DDA has casted a shadow on regularisation of unauthorised colonies.“DDA’s land pooling policy doesn’t say how it will do land pooling in unauthorised colonies,” the AAP lawmaker said.Another AAP MLA, Dinesh Mohaniya told the Delhi Assembly that the elected government in Delhi has
Darjeeling: The final tally of candidates in the poll fray from the Darjeeling constituency now stands at 16. Owing to the number of candidates, two balloting units of the Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) have to be placed in each polling booth of the constituency.21 persons had filed their nominations for the Darjeeling constituency seat. During scrutiny, the candidature of Maheswari Barman and Wajed Ali, both independent candidates, was rejected. While Barman did not deposit DCR cash, Ali’s papers were incomplete. Meanwhile, three candidates, namely Pawan Agarwal, R B Rai and Swaraj Thapa, have withdrawn their nominations. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: Mamata”We have 16 candidates in this constituency and hence two balloting units will be provided in each booth,” stated Joyoshi Das Gupta, District Election Officer and District Magistrate. There are 1,899 booths in the constituency. Election symbols for the candidates were also allotted on Friday. The day also saw CPRM candidate RB Rai and independent candidate Swaraj Thapa withdrawing their nominations. While talking to media persons, Thapa stated: “My nomination was a symbolic protest against the idea of repeatedly foisting outsiders for the Darjeeling Lok Sabha constituency.” Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateHe added that after he had filed his candidature, he had taken up the exercise to unite the Hill regional parties and decide on a consensus candidate from the candidates who were in the poll fray. “I had approached all regional parties along with the Congress and CPI(M). However, owing to time constraint, this could not materialise,” said Thapa. Nearly a month ago, the CPRM, while still in the exercise to unite the Hill regional parties and field a consensus candidate, had unilaterally announced the name of R B Rai. “Just to save a fractured mandate we withdrew our candidate. We are holding dialogues with national parties and regional parties. In the next few days we will announce our support to a party or coalition,” stated Govind Chettri, CPRM spokesperson.