The Guyana Power and Light Incorporated (GPL) has started the rollout of a multibillion-dollar upgrade to the electricity distribution network for villages on the East Coast of Demerara (ECD).Speaking at a community outreach with residents of Buxton and neighbouring communities, at the Buxton Secondary School last evening, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) acting, Renford Homer said the project is part of the wider Power Utility Upgrade Programme (PUUP) and is aimed at providing a higher quality of service to its consumers.“It’s not just about what’s happening in Buxton/Friendship. This is a programme that has been identified to help our company in improving the quality of service. This has come about because there has been a long recognition that our network is quite aged but more importantly because as a company we are always challenged financially because of the intense cost of generating electricity,” Bowen is quoted by the Department of Public Information as saying to residents.The renovation to the East Coast distribution network is part of an approximately US$65 million utility upgrade funded equally by a grant from the European Union (EU) and a loan from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB). The project among other things will see the use of distribution boxes and insulated wires, to minimise the instances of illegal connection that cause disruptions to the power distribution network; and smart meters to allow for more frequent, accurate readings without the need to visit a consumer’s premises.According to the CEO acting, the upgrade which targets an overall 85 communities, will be rolled out in four phases, namely excavation and pole planting, stringing of conductors, electrical installation, and installation of smart meters.“This is just one phase of a project that is expected to span approximately 830km of new and upgraded cable and it’s also meant to see overall an average of about 58,000 meters being equipped with more modern electronic metres,” Homer explained.GPL has since said that during phase two and three, there will be extended periods of outages and asks that consumers bear with them.The contract for the execution of the PUUP was awarded to China National Machinery Import and Export Corporation/China Synergy Electric Engineering Company (CMC/CSEEC). The local subcontractor is Ramoutar and Sons Contracting.
After refusing to pay a past employee an awarded sum of $79 million for wrongful dismissal, the New Building Society’s appeal against former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Maurice Arjoon will come up for ruling by Justice Rishi Persaud at the Appeal Court of Guyana on December 19.During Wednesday’s proceedings at the nation’s highest court, the parties, who appeared were Arjoon and one the representing attorneys, Siand Dhurjon; whileDismissed NBS CEO, Maurice ArjoonNBS Attorney, Senior Counsel Ashton Chase, was also present.It was recently disclosed that December 5 was the date set for ruling but after discussions with both parties, Justice Persaud set December 19 as the new date for ruling on the matter. After the announcement of the new date was made, Arjoon swiftly exited the courtroom.It has been five years since the former CEO took NBS to court for his outstanding pension and other benefits. Arjoon had originally sued the lending agency for some $550 million in damages on the following grounds: that he had been wrongfully dismissed from his post, and that his former employer had withheld pension and other benefits due him.The former top official was fired from his position 10 years ago in connection with a Magistrate’s Court matter wherein he, NBS Operations Manager Kent Vincent and NBS Assistant Mortgage Manager Kissoon Baldeo were all accused of conspiracy to defraud NBS of $69 million. The court matter was eventually dismissed, and Arjoon and the co-defendants took the financial institution to court in 2011. Having been dragged out for more than five years, the High Court matter was initially listed for decision on November 29, 2016; but it was only after repeated articles in this regard had appeared in the media that the court handed down its ruling on July 17.High Court Judge Justice Brassington Reynolds ruled in the dismissed CEO’s favour, awarding him more than $79 million in outstanding payments and benefits. The court also ruled that he should be paid a monthly pension of $372,498 from July 1 onwards. The Judge further ordered that the former CEO should receive financial compensation for the damages he had suffered; and moreover, that he was entitled to his pension and severance benefits, in accordance with provisions stipulated in the laws of Guyana.The NBS had contended that an unauthorised withdrawal of nearly $70 million had been made from an account that its client Bibi Shamina Khan held.The NBS’s issue with the withdrawal was that it was made through a Power of Attorney, and the company had implicated Arjoon for misconduct. The court in its determination contended that the NBS had failed to provide evidence that supported its claim of misconduct, whether serious or otherwise.Arjoon, who told media operatives that he was sick, had claimed that he was set-up on the fraud allegations because he allegedly refusal to approve a loan of some $2 billion applied for in 2006. He had also noted that the investigation into the fraud allegations was conducted later that same year, implicating him as CEO, as well as the co-defendants.
Prince George / Peace River MP Jay Hill released a statement on Friday morning regarding the recent attacks on Encana pipelines near Dawson Creek. Hill says “These are despicable actions and I look forward to the capture and prosecution of the individuals responsible. There is no excuse for public protest to include acts of violence. It is simply not tolerated by our society.” Hill continues, “I witnessed first-hand when I worked in the oil and gas industry, the devastation and destruction that can be caused when a gas pipeline ruptures and I am angered that these perpetrators have endangered the lives of my constituents.”- Advertisement – Hill points to an exemplory record of Encana as a corporate citizen in the region, and says he will work with authorities to ensure all resources necessary are available to apprehend those responsible.
Manchester United kicked off their pre-season campaign with a 2-0 victory over Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium – and fans are already impressed with Henrikh Mkhitaryan.This was a Community Shield fixture just three years ago, but is now one between a top five Premier League side and last year’s League One champions.But, it appears greatness could be on the cards again for the Red Devils as new signing Mkhitaryan starred in his first 45 minutes of football for the club after joining from Borussia Dortmund.Supporters watching the game noted his grace on the ball, dribbling ability and creativity, and they’re already tipping the £26million man to be a star in the Premier League next year.You can see what fans said on Twitter below… Manchester United star Henrikh Mkhitaryan 1
Johan Djourou playing for Hamburg Former Arsenal defender and recent West Ham target Johan Djourou is set to join Montpellier.The centre-back fell out of favour at Hamburg towards the end of the season and it was suggested that West Ham may make a move for him this summer.However, according to Midi Libre, the Switzerland international will pen a two-year deal once he returns from his current holiday.Djourou has been at Hamburg since 2013 when he left Arsenal and spent time as captain of the German club, for which he has racked up 94 Bundesliga appearances.Before that he played 100 times in the Premier League during his time at Arsenal and a loan spell at Birmingham. 1
JIM MCGUINNESS will appear on The Saturday Night Show this weekend.Jim McGuinness will give his first interview since stepping down as Donegal manager on RTE’s Saturday Night Show hosted by Brendan O’Connor.McGuinness has remained tight lipped following his departure as manager almost a fortnight ago.McGuinness presided over the most successful reign in Donegal GAA history by landing three Ulster titles, and one All-Ireland title. McGuinness took Donegal agonisingly close to landing their second All-Ireland title in three years, but were narrowly defeated to Kerry in the decider.McGuinness will reveal how he broke the news to his management and staff, and will reveal why after four years he decided to quit as Donegal manager.Donegal GAA fans was left devastated following his decision to step down, and are eager to find out why he walked away.McGuinness received a promotion with Celtic FC under new manager Ronnie Delia. Will Jimmy reveal who he thinks should get the job, or who he thinks will get it on The Saturday Night Show?It promises to be a compelling interview, and no doubt all of Donegal will be tuned in for it this Saturday night.JIM MCGUINNESS TO APPEAR ON THE SATURDAY NIGHT SHOW THIS WEEKEND was last modified: October 16th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:EntertainmentFeaturesinterviewJim McGuinnessnewsRTESport
Four policemen, including two sub-inspectors, were killed and seven others injured in an encounter with Maoists in Narayanpur district of south Chhattisgarh on Wednesday.“An encounter took place between the police and Maoists near Irapanar village in Abujhmad area of Narayanpur today. Two police sub-inspectors and two constables lost their lives [in the encounter]. Seven jawans were injured and are being brought to Raipur [for treatment],” Devnath, Additional Inspector General of the Anti-Naxal Operation (ANO) unit of Chhattisgarh police said.According to D. M. Awasthi, special Director General of Police in charge of the ANO, the encounter took place when the police team was venturing into the core Maoist area of Abujmad.Exchange of fire for over an hour“The operation was planned by Narayanpur SP [Superintendent of Police]. The police party left the base camp on Tuesday evening. The exchange of fire between the Maoists and the police team went on for over an hour,” he said.In another incident, two policemen suffered injuries in an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) explosion in Bijapur district of south Chhattisgarh.The IED, planted by Maoists, exploded when a police team was carrying out a search operation in Basaguda area of Bijapur. The injured policemen were evacuated to Raipur by a chopper.
A forum of six communities demanding Scheduled Tribe status enforced a 48-hour shutdown affecting normal life in parts of Assam since Monday.The police reported sporadic incidents of violence and disruption of communication in eastern, central and western Assam where the six communities — Moran, Muttock, Tai-Ahom, Kock-Rajbongshi, Chutia and Adivasi (‘tea tribe’) — are in the majority.These communities currently enjoy Other Backwards Class status. The OBCs’ share in Assam’s quota pie is 27%, while the STs (plains), Scheduled Castes and STs (hills) have 10%, 7% and 5% share respectively.Two-decade-old issueThe ST status demand by the six communities has been a major issue for more than two decades now. The Bharatiya Janata Party had promised them tribal status before the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.The last meeting between the Centre and the representatives of the six communities was held in April 2017. Leaders of these communities said they are still awaiting a report that was to be submitted by June 2017.The trigger for the two-day shutdown from 5 a.m. on Monday was the alleged snub by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh during a meeting with leaders of the six communities in New Delhi on July 20. “The Minister came and went without saying much except that our issue would be resolved soon,” said Aswini Chetia, adviser of All-Assam Tai-Ahom Students’ Union, adding that neither Mr. Singh, nor Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju “seemed interested in knowing about our demands”. The six communities would organise a rally on July 30 demanding the intervention of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to fulfil the BJP’s commitment to grant them ST status. Other tribes waryThe existing ST communities in Assam are opposed to the move to grant tribal status to the six ethnic groups. The Coordination Committee of the Tribal Organisations of Assam (CCTOA), representing Bodo, Rabha, Tiwa, Karbi, Dimasa, Mising, Sonowal, Hajong, Garo and Deuri tribes, had in 2011 written to the Singla Committee that the proposal to grant ST status to six “advances and populous OBC communities” was “a conspiracy to destroy/exterminate the existing STs of Assam”.The Centre had set up the committee headed by Mahesh Kumar Singla, then Special Secretary (internal security) in the Home Ministry, on March 1, 2011, to look into the demand of the six communities and its fallout.The CCTOA had said that the Registrar General of India had rejected the demand of the six communities eight times between 1981 and 2006. The Centre did grant ST status to the Koch-Rajbongshis for six months in 1996, but it was revoked after it was found that 33 of 42 medical seats and 17 of 21 engineering seats apart from other courses reserved for STs had been taken away by the Koch-Rajbongshis.Tribal-majority State?Social scientists say granting ST status to the six communities would make Assam a tribal majority State and would entitle it to special safeguards that might help in solving complications arising out of alleged illegal influx into the State affecting its demographic balance.If granted reservation, the number of Assembly seats reserved for tribal people is expected to jump from the existing 16 to about 85-90 in the 126-seat House by way of fresh delimitation of constituencies.
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo said Tuesday his “brilliance” annoys people, a day after he was quizzed by a Spanish judge investigating whether he evaded paying millions of euros in taxes.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“What bothers people is my brilliance, insects only attack lamps that shine!!!!” the Portuguese wrote in an Instagram message that received over a million likes within an hour of being posted.ADVERTISEMENT Portuguese television SIC reported that Ronaldo aborted the appearance at the podium set up outside the court because the court hearing had gone badly, with many moments of “tension” between him and the judge.Ronaldo is not the only footballer to fall foul of authorities in Spain.His arch-rival, Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, was found guilty of tax evasion last year.Other footballers have also recently run into trouble with Spain’s taxman, some of them already convicted and others under investigation.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Prosecutors accuse the four-time world player of the year of having evaded 14.7 million euros ($17.3 million) in tax.Ronaldo, 32, has denied any wrongdoing. He told the judge he has always filed his tax returns and “never had the intention of evading taxes”, according to a statement from his representatives.Spanish daily El Mundo said the player — the world’s highest paid athlete according to Forbes magazine — implied during his court hearing that he was only being investigated because of who he is.“I am only here because my name is Cristiano Ronaldo,” the player told the judge, according to the newspaper.Ronaldo had been expected to speak to the throng of reporters gathered outside of the court after the hearing but instead his spokesman Inaki Torres emerged from the building to announce the player “was on his way home”, prompting jeers from the press.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress Herndon to Marinero, Apinan to Cignal as D-League teams retool ahead of playoffs Ronaldo spent over 90 minutes on Monday answering the questions of investigating judge Monica Gomez at a closed door hearing in Pozuelo de Alarcon, the wealthy suburb of Madrid where he lives. DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ View comments Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games MOST READ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ LATEST STORIES Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet