Paul Deegan believes star mare Midnight Soprano could take her game to another level this season ahead of her return to action in the Cork Racecourse Mallow Noblesse Stakes. The six-year-old won five races, including two Listed prizes, during a superb 2012 campaign and looks to have a fine opportunity to open her Pattern-race account in this mile-and-a-half Group Three. From what he has seen at home, Deegan thinks there are signs Midnight Soprano is in better shape than she has ever been. “It’s a good Group Three but she won’t mind the ground and gets the trip well. She’s fit and she’s well and I’m looking forward to getting her started. She has been an absolute star for us over the past few seasons, a beautiful natured mare and a pleasure to have in the yard,” said the trainer. “She has done better over the past winter than any before, and has really strengthened this time around. Hopefully it brings about another bit of improvement in her. “She won the Saval Beg on really soft ground last year but she seems to go on most types of ground. Her sister (Celtic Soprano) got a bit sharper as she got older and this mare might be the same. A mile and a half is probably her optimum trip. She takes very little work and gets naturally fit. Her last few pieces of work have been very pleasing.” The Kevin Prendergast-trained Majenta takes a significant step up in class, just a week after winning in handicap company at the Curragh. Prendergast said: “She’s run three times and won twice, and we’d like to get her some black type. Her owner Joerg Vasicek is a breeder and he got the record price of 215,000 euro at the Goffs Land Rover Sale for a three-year-old during the week. “She’s come out of the Curragh race very well. It looks a hot contest but she’s getting weight-for-age, and we’ll be hoping to get her into the placings.” A field of 10 has been declared, with Dermot Weld’s Ribblesdale heroine Princess Highway the highest rated filly in the field. There are two challengers from Britain in Ralph Beckett’s Cubanita and Testosterone from Ed Dunlop’s yard. Beckett said: “She’s in good form and I think the trip and ground should be in her favour, which is why we’re travelling over with her. She’s obviously got her work cut out to beat Dermot Weld’s filly, but she’s in great shape and we’ll give it a go.” Press Association
Press Association “It’s common knowledge Ozzie is somebody we would like to bring into the club, but at the moment that deal has gone cold,” Hughes told Stoke City Player. “He is one we have chased for a while now, but there hasn’t been any real movement on that front, so we will just have to wait and see what the situation is with regards to that deal.” Liverpool striker Assaidi spent all of last season on loan with the Potters, scoring five goals in 25 appearances. Despite Hughes’ eagerness to link up with the 25-year-old Moroccan again, the Welshman fears he may have to look elsewhere for the one player he claims he needs to complete his squad ahead of the new season. Stoke manager Mark Hughes has revealed his hopes of landing Oussama Assaidi on a permanent basis have “gone cold”.
New Delhi, June 16: Seasoned batsman Suresh Raina was on Saturday named as a replacement for Ambati Rayudu in the One-Day International squad against England after the Hyderabadi batsman failed to clear the mandatory fitness test.The 32-year-old Rayudu’s score was on Friday found to be well below the threshold mark of 16.1 after he underwent the yo-yo test along with the rest of the England-bound squad including skipper Virat Kohli, at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru in the presence of trainer Shankar Basu and the other support staff.”The All-India Senior Selection Committee has named Suresh Raina as Ambati Rayudu’s replacement in India’s ODI squad for the series against England,” a BCCI statement confirmed.”The announcement came after Rayudu failed to clear his fitness test that was held at NCA, Bengaluru on Friday,” it added.Rayudu, whose last international appearance was in an ODI against Zimbabwe in June 2016, was named in the India squad for the ODIs against England after a successful outing in the recently-concluded Indian Premier League (IPL).The right-hander finished as the leading run-getter (602) for champions Chennai Super Kings and the fourth highest run-scorer overall in IPL 2018.The yo-yo test has become a criterion for fitness standards in Indian cricket determining selection.India’s tour of England begins on July 3 with the limited-overs leg of three T20Is and three ODIs.From August 1 to September 11, India will take on England in a five-match Test series. IANS
Read More | Rishi Kapoor and Ranbir Kapoor have ‘star struck’ moment with De NiroLooking at the result, had Kohli completed the run, the result in Vizag would have been a win to India and a comfortable 2-0 lead in the series. However, the short run will make Kohli unhappy and one would be hoping that such a result is not repeated. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Virat Kohli owned the Vizag ODI by breaking records effortlessly. Not only did the Indian cricket team skipper score his second consecutive century, he became the fastest to 10,000 ODI runs beating the previous mark set by Sachin Tendulkar. Following his century in Guwahati, Kohli continued his phenomenal run-making prowess in Vizag and took the West Indies bowlers to the cleaners.Kohli’s unbeaten 157, his fourth 150+ score, helped India reach 321/6. However, a determined effort from Shai Hope (123*) and Shimron Hetmyer (94) helped West Indies tie the game. In hindsight, the key factor in Kohli’s knock not giving India the win was Kohli’s basic mistake while batting.Read More | Naagin-3: The showstopper on BARC TRP ratingIn the 11th over of the Indian innings bowled by off-spinner Ashley Nurse, Kohli worked a ball towards widish long on and set off for a couple. However, when he completed the run, he realised to his horror that he had committed a mistake. The second run was deemed short and thus it was deducted and the Indian skipper realised his mistake and admonished himself.Replays showed that when he turned to take the second run, the bat did not cross the line at the non-striker’s end. At that time, Kohli would not have known that such a mistake would prove to be costly.
Katie Chin | Daily TrojanThe great debate · Viewers gathered at Wallis Annenberg Hall for the first presidential debate Monday evening. Candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump discussed their positions on topics like the economy, immigration and gun control.Hundreds of students crowded into all four floors of Wallis Annenberg Hall to watch the first presidential debate between Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican candidate Donald Trump on Tuesday evening.The USC Annenberg Center on Communication Leadership & Policy and the USC Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics co-hosted the event, which began with a pre-debate panel entitled “Behind the Scenes: Preparing & Spinning Presidential Debates.”The panel featured Judy Muller, an award-winning television journalist, NPR commentator and USC professor of journalism; Antonia Hernández, a Commission on Presidential Debates Board member and president and CEO of California Community Foundation; and Gordon Stables, Annenberg assistant dean of student affairs and USC director of debate and forensics.The panelists began the discussion by explaining why this presidential debate in particular was so highly anticipated.“This is a precious time when the American public has an opportunity to see how these two individuals respond to questions and interact, and for the public to get a sense of the person who will be in the most powerful office in the country,” Hernández said.Muller explained that the debate was the most written-about event that’s taken place so far in the election, and that part of the reason was due to the candidates involved.“[This debate features] the first female candidate against the first reality show candidate. Donald Trump is the draw here,” Muller said.Muller and Hernández also both repeatedly emphasized how Clinton’s gender has impacted her media coverage throughout the campaign season.“Hillary is being judged more harshly. It gets in the way, and I’ve seen it many times for a lot of women. If [a woman] is serious, [she’s] perceived to be angry. If a man looks serious, he’s perceived to be serious,” Hernández said. “For students viewing these debates, I’d challenge you to judge your own biases.”Muller noted that while Trump is typically judged by whether or not he is “presidential enough,” the question surrounding Clinton is whether she is “likeable enough.”At the beginning of the event, Stables mentioned that due to the demographics of the room, it was likely that most of the audience was rooting for Clinton. The screening of the debate itself started with cheers for Clinton and jeers for Trump.Daniel Wahl, a sophomore majoring in business administration, was one of the few students showing support for Trump.“I’ve never watched a presidential debate with an audience before, and clearly most people here support Clinton,” Wahl said. “I thought it was important to show support and clap for Trump. We’ll see how the popular vote goes, [because] it is hard to tell in a crowd that is about 90 percent liberal-leaning.”The panel emphasized that the engagement of the candidates with young people is a key part of this election.“Both candidates need to address the needs, challenges and aspirations of millennials,” Hernández said. “And it is very important for millennials to show up and vote.”USC students had the opportunity to take this step at the event, where tables were set up for voter registration.“I was pleasantly surprised by the event’s large turnout, and hope that it helps to engage millennial voters,” said Elisabeth Hopkins, a senior majoring in biomedical engineering.The USC Annenberg Center on Communication Leadership & Policy and the USC Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics will co-host two more debate-viewing events this campaign season, for the vice presidential debate and the next presidential debate on Oct. 4 and Oct. 19, respectively.
Chris Eubank Jr punched liked never before as he retained the International Boxing Organization (IBO) World Super-Middleweight title with a unanimous decision points win over Arthur Abraham.The Judges at the Wembley Arena scored the bout 118-110, 118-110 and 120-108, all in favor of Christopher Livingstone “Chris” Eubank Jr.An elated Chris speaking to ITV Sports said “I’m happy with the performance.”The win extended his record to 25 and one defeat which came in the hands of fellow Brit, Billy Joe Saunders in 2014.Arthur, a two-time world champion was fighting in the United Kingdom for the first time in his 52-fight career which has now recorded six forgettable defeats.Priority now for the champion is to stay fit and ready for the inaugural eight-man World Boxing Super Series.Related
Coy Prevost of Kimberley and Ross Amour also scored for the Ice.Justin Bowerman scored twice to lead the T-Birds.Saturday, Kootenay, playing perhaps its best game of the season, scored a season high seven goals en route to the lopsided victory.“We had a fantastic game Saturday,” Wright exclaimed. “Even Sunday I thought the guys played very hard and deserved better.”Trevor Van Steinburg of Cranbrook scored twice to lead the Ice.Spencer McLean of Montrose, Ryan Neil of Fruitvale, Podgorenko, Nelson’s Sam Weber and Jacob Yuris of Trail also scored for the Ice.Provost, a Western Hockey League draft pick of the Saskatoon Blades, finished Saturday’s game with three assists.Jason Mailhiot and Carson Schamerhorn, both of Trail shared the netminding duties in goal during the weekend for Kootenay.Kootenay takes to the road for two very tough games Saturday and Sunday against the Vancouver Northwest Giants.The Giants hold down second spot in league standings, four points behind leading Okanagan Rockets.“This will be a very good test for us,” said Wright. “So we’re going to focus on having a great week of practice and work on our zone coverage in the defensive zone.” The Kootenay Ice missed a golden opportunity to climb the B.C. Hockey Major Midget League standings during a weekend home series.Costly penalties down the stretch proved to unravel the Ice, allowing the Fraser Valley Thunderbirds to escape with a 4-3 victory Sunday at the NDCC Arena.Kootenay, 3-9-2 on the season, remain a point behind Fraser Valley and five back in the race for the final playoff spot. The Ice opened the two-game set Saturday with a 7-3 victory in Nelson.“For the first time this season we got a little undisciplined and that cost us,” said Ice skipper Robbie Wright.“(Fraser Valley) is a big strong club and a couple of their guys started running around and got under our skin.”“But overall on the weekend I thought we played well, it was just a couple of bad penalties that really hurt us Sunday,” Wright added.Trailing 3-1 in the third, Nelson’s Justin Podgorenko pulled Kootenay to within a marker of Fraser Valley.However, the Ice took three penalties, two at the 9:34 mark of the third period with the Thunderbirds already being assess a minor penalty, to kill any momentum.
Frenkie de Jong is passing the confinement in Amsterdam, where he has used until the last moment to train with the ball, not even alone. In the Netherlands, until a week ago, sports were allowed as long as regulatory distances were respected and you were not quarantined., circumstances that the Dutch from Barcelona took advantage of until the authorities have decided to tighten the isolation measures. Now in the Netherlands you can continue going out, but individually, and De Jong has sent this newspaper that currently no longer leaves home. The images of De Jong training alone in a sweatshirt of the brand that he sponsors and sweatpants from Ajax, his former team were taken last week on a public soccer field next to his home and frequented by others fans as you can see in the pictures. What he misses is one of the images in which he is seen accessing the stadium jumping a fence. According to the player himself, it was to be isolated and not share the field and that instead of waiting for it to be opened, he jumped over the fence to exercise.Now, the time to play football has also ended in the Netherlands, waiting for the situation to return to normal after the coronavirus.
Frank Lampard He arrived on the Stamford Bridge bench last summer with the possibility of signing reinforcements banned due to the punishment imposed by UEFA. This is why the former player blue was forced to make use of the quarry and trust the new batch of Chelsea footballers. Specifically, in three of them: Callum Hudson-Odoi, Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount. And it is precisely the latter who has landed in a better way in the elite.The very young 21-year-old midfielder packed just six to trade Portsmouth for London and enter the quarry blue. He served in the lower categories until the summer of 2017, at which time he was transferred to the Dutch Vitesse. His stay in the tulip country would last only one season, since in 2018 he returned to British lands leaving again on loan to Derby County, militant in the Championship, the English second division. In the summer of 2019, Lampard believed that it would be useful for his new project. I was right. Mason Mount has not only earned a fixed position based on numbers (six goals and four assists), but, until the break, it has curdled an enormous season. Despite his youth, he has managed to sit Barkley on the bench and become a regular at the Stamford Bridge team. It is no coincidence that more than one has fallen in love with their high level, including Leo Messi, the Barcelona star.The Argentine star assured, in an interview collected by Football London and Daily Mail, that the one from Portsmouth “It has the potential to be one of the best.” This is also contemplated by Gareth Southgate, England’s national coach, whose idea was that Mount would be part of the 23 selected to play in the Euro Cup. However, due to the postponement of the tournament until next year due to the coronavirus, everything has been left in the air. But Chelsea’s young promise will continue to fight to not lower the level, continue to be decisive for Lampard and earn a place in the English team next year.
It was welcome relief for Portmore, which had lost three consecutive matches in the Red Stripe Premier League. Hewitt said injuries were partially to blame for those setbacks. “There have been some injuries, so we had about four players who have not played in over six games … . [Injuries] have been contributing to our performances over the last few matches. But we are Portmore United, and whoever we put on the pitch must be ready to play, but we are just glad that we got our [injured] players back and we are just getting ready for the next round [of games],” he said. In Sunday’s parish knockout decider, Portmore controlled the match but found it difficult to score, even though they created a number of openings. Hewitt insists they must improve if they are aiming to win more trophies this season. “I thought the Bodles team was really organised; they must have had some quality to reach the final. They knew us and it was evident that they did their homework. They did not allow us to play our free-flowing football, but we eventually broke through and got two goals. “But I thought we could have done much better in front of goal and separate ourselves with a bigger margin. We created numerous chances, but we were unable to convert most of those. We got two goals and we are thankful, but still we have a lot of work to do in front of goal, and if we can convert half of the chances we create in the Premier League and domestic competition, we will be a force to reckon with,” he said. Bodles’ coach Lenworth Gordon said they were outclassed, but gave up ‘soft’ goals. “We went up against a good,-quality Portmore team, but gave away two soft goals and that was very hard to come back from because they didn’t give us any room to play, and they have quicker players,” he commented. Portmore United’s head coach Jeffrey Hewitt said they are elated to have won their first title of the season after beating Bodles FC 2-0 to win the St Catherine Happy Sutherland Knockout football competition. Hewitt dedicated the victory to the club’s long-serving chairman, Herman Ming, and his family and noted that now that their injured players have recovered, their form should improve in the Red Stripe Premier League. “It’s the first title for the season and we are very happy to have got it, and I want to say thanks to all who have been supporting us, especially the Ming family, and this victory is dedicated to them,” said Hewitt, whose team won Sunday’s title match at Spanish Town Prison Oval courtesy of Tremaine Stewart’s double in the 34th and 69th minutes of a largely one-sided contest. WELCOME WIN