RSF condemns “witchhunt” against journalists in Turkey

first_img News Zaman had backed the Gülen Movement and had been very critical of the government for several years until placed under judicial control in March, when police stormed its headquarters and all of its employees were immediately fired. Thereafter, it adopted a pro-government editorial policy, lost most of its readers and ended up being closed down. Organisation Credit: Adem Altan / AFP to go further Help by sharing this information In both cases, no hard evidence was ever produced and the journalists ended up being released after long periods of provisional detention, in some cases lasting more than four years. July 27, 2016 RSF condemns “witchhunt” against journalists in Turkey Turkey is ranked 151st out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. Warrants for the arrest of 42 journalists had already been issued as part of the investigation into the Gülen Movement. The score of already detained journalists include the columnist Şahin Alpay, former Zaman editorial writer Nuriye Akman, well-known TV presenter Nazlı Ilıcak and former Hürriyet journalist Bülent Mumay. “We regret having to reiterate that criticizing the government and working for media outlets that support the Gülen Movement do not constitute evidence of involvement in the failed coup. If the authorities cannot produce more credible evidence, they are guilty of persecuting people for their opinions and that is unacceptable.” Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law Receive email alerts April 28, 2021 Find out more TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses Judicial harassmentFreedom of expressionCouncil of Europe In December 2011, 36 media workers were arrested as part of an investigation into the banned Union of Kurdistan Communities (KCK).Many other journalists were placed in detention from 2008 to 2013 on suspicion of being part of an alleged ultra-nationalist network called “Ergenekon.”center_img News Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit Follow the news on Turkey TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses Judicial harassmentFreedom of expressionCouncil of Europe Many precedents show that Turkey’s judicial authorities often work on the basis of ideological association, accusing journalists of belonging to an armed organization if it can be claimed that their views resemble the positions espoused by the organization. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the purge against Turkey’s news media, which continues to assume increasingly alarming proportions ten days after an abortive coup d’état. At dawn today, the anti-terrorism police added 47 new names to the already long list of wanted journalists April 2, 2021 Find out more “It is hard to believe that these increasingly extensive roundups are being carried out with the sole legitimate aim of unmasking those behind the coup and their accomplices,” said Johann Bihr, the head of RSF’s Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk. RSF_en News Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor News April 2, 2021 Find out more The new wanted notices were issued on the basis of arrest warrants authorized by an Istanbul prosecutor. Those named (complete list here) are former employees of Zaman, a daily that used to support the US-based Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen, whose followers are now accused of being behind the coup attempt.last_img read more

Continue reading

Con-man cashes in on respite plight

first_imgEmail Linkedin THE Brothers of Charity have warned that a bogus fundraiser has been calling to County Limerick homes claiming to be collecting for the respite centre.Head of Finance at the charity, Mary Dundon told the Limerick Post that the con artist has been exploiting the good will of people who are aware of the plight of respite services, which have seen a dramatic reduction in government funding in recent months.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “The head of quality here, who lives in Pallasgreen, had a call from a neighbour who was visited by a man whom she described as well-dressed and who produced a bank account number that he claimed was in use by the charity”, Ms Dundon told this newspaper.“We have no idea who he is and we certainly have not received any donations from him. We have not begun our fundraising drive as of yet and would not be in favour of door to door collections in any case.“People have read about our situation and are eager to help, but we want to ensure that they don’t hand over their hard earned money to this con artist, who is evidently using the money for his own gain”.Meanwhile gardaí are warning that bogus workers are continuing to call to houses across Limerick, conning people out of their money.“If you are in doubt regarding the identity of a person calling to your home please err on the side of caution and don’t allow them in. If you have any concerns call your local Garda Station”, said a garda spokesperson. Advertisement NewsLocal NewsCon-man cashes in on respite plightBy admin – August 19, 2010 510 WhatsAppcenter_img Facebook Twitter Print Previous articleKiely scuppers move to stall managerNext articleCreditors lose €1.7m after Clancy’s goes into liquidation adminlast_img read more

Continue reading

Pooran has eyes fixed on representing Windies in Test cricket

first_imgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – Nicholas Pooran’s dream of playing Test cricket for West Indies is still very much alive, with the regular in the regional side’s T20I and ODI squads saying he is ready and just waiting for the call-up.The talented left-hander, who has so far only represented the regional side in white ball cricket, suffered nearly career-ending injury in a car crash five years ago, and he says while he was forced to focus on the shorter formats in recent years, he believes he is back on track to achieving his ultimate goal in the red-ball format.“Growing up, I always watched Test cricket and I’ve always wanted to play. I had an unfortunate accident; I had to make decisions and had to live with the consequences.But now everything is alright with me and whenever I am called to play Test cricket, I am ready to play,” the 24-year-old Trinidadian said during a recent Windies Hangout on the @windiescricket Instagram page.The rising star sustained ankle and knee injuries in the accident in January 2015. His left patellar tendon was ruptured and his right ankle was fractured.Despite the setback, he said he remained focus on getting back to the game.“Sitting down at the hospital and sitting at home, I knew my dream was to be a professional cricketer. Mentally, I was so strong. I decided that anything that happened to me, happened for a reason and I just started to believe,” Pooran recalled.“Every time I saw improvement in myself, I started to believe that it was possible I will play cricket again. I didn’t believe I would be down forever. Every time I went to sleep and woke up, I just decided that today was going to be a better day.”After two surgeries and several months of physiotherapy, he was able to walk again and eventually made his cricketing comeback.“My girlfriend and her family, they came and prayed for me; started to teach me about the Bible and religion. They just told me to believe. I started to believe and I saw for myself that every day I was seeing improvement.“I believe it’s because of my belief and trust in the Lord. That changed everything for me, to be honest,” added Pooran who has played in several T20 franchise leagues around the world, including the Caribbean Premier League (CPL), the India Premier League (IPL), the Pakistan Super League (PSL), and the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL).The aggressive middle-order batsman made his T20I debut for the West Indies, less than two years after his accident. He played for the regional side against Pakistan in September 2016.Pooran made his ODI debut against England in February 2019.He then went on to secure a place in the West Indies squad in the 2019 Cricket World Cup which he ended as the leading run-scorer for the regional squad, amassing 367 runs in nine matches, which included his first ODI century.last_img read more

Continue reading

Syracuse drops physical battle, 2-0, to Lindenwood for first conference loss

first_img Published on December 2, 2017 at 7:09 pm Contact Anthony: [email protected] Comments Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Halfway through the first period, freshman Emma Polaski and Lindenwood’s Ally Larson raced to the puck. Converging on the same point, Polaski slammed full force into Larson, sending her barreling headfirst into the corner wall near Lindenwood’s bench. The noise from the collision between Larson and the wall echoed throughout Tennity Ice Pavilion. A 10-minute penalty for game misconduct was assessed to Polaski, who was then ejected from the game.There was no love lost between Syracuse (5-8-2, 4-1-1 College Hockey America) and Lindenwood (3-10-1, 3-5-0) in SU’s 2-0 defeat, the Orange’s first loss in conference play this season. The physicality from both teams in Friday night’s game carried over into Saturday’s matchup. There were plenty of heated confrontations and shoving matches between SU and the LU, which in turn affected Syracuse’s performance on the ice.With eight minutes remaining in the second period, senior Allie Munroe and Lindenwood’s Lillian Marchant both flew into the wall after crashing into one another in an effort to control the puck. This physicality lead to 14 penalties being called.“It ruins the rhythm,” Munroe said, “Constantly penalty killing ruins the rhythm. We need to be more disciplined.”About 16 minutes into the second period, freshman Jessica DiGirolamo extended her arms, pushing LU’s Kirsten Martin into the wall on a breakaway and potential goal scoring chance for the Lady Lions. Goalie Abbey Miller believes the intensity of the matchup played a role in Saturday night’s loss.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWith about five minutes left in the third period, senior Alysha Burriss lost her stick in a battle for the puck and after the whistle was blown, Lindenwood’s Larson kicked the stick further away from Burris. It was clear Syracuse and Lindenwood were not fans of one another.“It’s harder to play in a game that’s chippy like that,” Miller said. “We have got to stop taking stupid penalties. We know we can’t throw our hands up and hit girls.”last_img read more

Continue reading